Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Table saw advice

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Solomon View Post
    Where do you look for something like this? I typically look on exfactory, Craigslist, eBay, Facebook marketplace and everything I’ve seen in the last 6 months has sold for between $2000-$2500, unless it’s something g that needs a full restoration with a whole new paint job.
    Your looking in the right places, but don’t forget auctions. But, auctions are a hobby of their own. Need to go to 10 before you find one that sells at good deals. Online ones tend to sell higher than in person.

Biggest 2 things you need to get a good deal: the persistence/patience to keep looking, and willingness to drive at the drop of a hat.

Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hendershott View Post
    Minimax 3c in Tampa listed in the classifieds. Once you use a slider you will not want to go back.
    Yea, I'd grab that in a split second if I needed to downsize. That's a great tool and the owner has kept it impeccably.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Your looking in the right places, but don’t forget auctions. But, auctions are a hobby of their own. Need to go to 10 before you find one that sells at good deals. Online ones tend to sell higher than in person.

Biggest 2 things you need to get a good deal: the persistence/patience to keep looking, and willingness to drive at the drop of a hat.
    Plus the ability to safely transport the thing, which is often a major impediment.

Oh, you didn’t mean THAT kind of slider? /;^)

If you have to hire a moving company, there goes the value proposition.

So I made some more calls this morning pricing a VFD or phase converter. So here are my options...I have a negotiated price for the saw as is with a 3 phase 5 HP motor for $1800. This is the saw in the first 2 pictures of the thread. I priced a STATIC phase converter for $155, making the total cost of $1955.
    Cost for ROTARY phase converter- $800 that would allow me to power multiple 3 phase machines in the future if the need ever arose.
    Cost for VFD- $900

Or keep searching and hope to get lucky on the last saw I posted a picture of at an auction. Both saws are about the same distance away from me.

FYI I am in Charleston, SC. Ill add that to my profile.

Well I am glad you passed on the $2800. That is just creeping up to the cost of new, even though it wouldn't be a USA made saw. That saw is gonna be a hard sale for them with 3ph. So many industrial and commercial companies are dumping their old saws and getting SS industrial for the safety of their employees. $5000 for a SS industrial for many companies to prevent an injury is a drop in the bucket.

So, i think it's mostly going to be hobbyists looking for used old metal saws. Someone else even mentioned it earlier that a 1ph old metal saw is worth more than a 3ph. So the 3ph saw should be 1000, plus 800 for the upgrade and and $1800, or even your original quotes $2200 was not bad.

Be aware that a static phase converter only provides you with a portion of the motor power. It's not really providing full three phase power. That's why they are so inexpensive...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Be aware that a static phase converter only provides you with a portion of the motor power. It's not really providing full three phase power. That's why they are so inexpensive...
    A 5HP motor will make less than 3 HP on a static converter.

Well...1 month later, I brought this home last night. Picked it up for $1800 from Redmond Machinery. I have a miter gauge coming in the mail, free of charge. It is being stored in my current garage for the new few months until the new shop is built. While I have some time to kill waiting on building permits to get started on the new shop, I'd like to get this thing as clean as I can. I feel like an idiot for asking this, but this is the first "used" peice of machinery I have purchased. Everything else I have bought was brand new, so never had to deal with this before. There are some stains on the cast iron (not rust) that I need some advice on how to remove, as well as some buildup of dirt and tarnish on the painted surfaces of the saw. I might redo the pinstripe at the bottom if I find myself waiting on building permits for too long, but other than a minor cleaning, this saw is about as good as new.
    IMG-2529.jpgIMG-2530.jpgIMG-2531.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Solomon View Post
    Well...1 month later, I brought this home last night. Picked it up for $1800 from Redmond Machinery. I have a miter gauge coming in the mail, free of charge. It is being stored in my current garage for the new few months until the new shop is built. While I have some time to kill waiting on building permits to get started on the new shop, I'd like to get this thing as clean as I can. I feel like an idiot for asking this, but this is the first "used" peice of machinery I have purchased. Everything else I have bought was brand new, so never had to deal with this before. There are some stains on the cast iron (not rust) that I need some advice on how to remove, as well as some buildup of dirt and tarnish on the painted surfaces of the saw. I might redo the pinstripe at the bottom if I find myself waiting on building permits for too long, but other than a minor cleaning, this saw is about as good as new.
    IMG-2529.jpgIMG-2530.jpgIMG-2531.jpg
    Scotchgarde pad and some mineral oil. This is for rust but should help get stains out...

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/how-...w-rust-3536462

Lovely saw! I’m very fond of mine. To clean cast iron I use a scotch-brite style disc on my ROS and have used WD-40 or mineral spirits as a lubricant. Lately I have also used Bar Keeper’s Friend on tougher stains. Resist the urge to use any kind of sandpaper, wet/dry or otherwise.

This is the before/after of one of the extension tables on my PM66. I'm pretty sure it was just mineral spirits and the green scotch-brite pads you see in the pic, by hand.

20200615_iphone_0816.jpg

20200615_iphone_0819.jpg

Make sure to clean (Simple Green works well) and then wax the surface with Johnson's paste wax or similar when you are done. Renew the wax from time to time.
    Last edited by Marc Fenneuff; 01-06-2021 at 11:01 PM.

For the cast iron surfaces, I use the red scotch brite pads and press them onto a wire cup wheel. You can use an angle grinder with the wire wheel but I like using a corded drill with the wire wheel / scotch brite pad.

My new saw had a couple of dark stains in the cast iron. I used to worry about it, but as long as it is smooth and slick, its works regardless.

Unless the paint is in bad shape, scratches add character!