Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fair price for Laguna 14 SUV?

Fair price for Laguna 14 SUV?

So I am in the common position of deciding what Bandsaw to buy. I am a weekend warrior that will want the ability to do various tasks with the bandsaw. I will need to do some periodic resawing, but not of large logs or anything like that. For example, I have some very nice old barnwood that I will be using to make a Green Egg Table. I have some boards that are 4/4 and I will resaw them into 1/2" boards for door frames, etc. These range from 4" wide to a max of 10-12", but those will be few and far between. I will then use it for other common bandsaw tasks. Nothing out of the ordinary. I don't turn, so no bowl blanks or anything like that.

I have considered 14" - 18" saws. While an 18" would be nice, I don't think I want or need to take up that much room for what I will be doing. It's simply overkill. This isn't a daily or even weekly use item for me. I have looked at Laguna, Rikon, and Grizzly. Just not a fan of the Grizzly overall although they seem to be a good value.

So I am basically down to the Laguna and Rikon. Laguna has such a long wait that I have given up on the idea of a new 14BX simply due to the wait even though it was just on sale. It appears to me the 14 SUV is either discontinued or they just aren't making them at all right now. I like the 10-353 Rikon due to weight and HP although I also come back to the 10-326 as a nice general purpose saw. Both Rikons have the better fence it appears (vs. the standard Laguna fence). So where does the 14 SUV come into play, well there is a like new, used one a couple of hours from me and I think it is probably the best saw of my options. I am aware of the table height issues, but for as much as I am going to use it, I don't think any of them are make or break for me.

As I see it, here is where I am:

Rikon 10-326 - Approx $1400 delivered to me. There is a promo to include a mobility cart, but that is not a make or break it issue in my consideration. Lighter machine, 1.75hp, 5 Year warranty.
    Rikon 10-353 - Approx 1950-$2000 to me. Heavier, 3HP, 5 Year warranty, better fence
    Laguna 14SUV - Asking $1900 with 3 blades, $1800 with one. Heavier, 3Hp, Standard fence only. 2 hour drive to pick it up. probably out of warranty.

So I think I like the Laguna in general as I like the idea of the ceramic guides, known quality, etc, but think I need to factor in no warranty.

I am one to want to offer a fair price. Everyone wants things as cheap as possible, but what are your opinions on these options and if you think the Laguna is the best option what would be a fair price to pay. Not looking to lowball.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Jamie Hoskins; 12-04-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Haven't owned the Rikons, but I did own a Laguna 14SUV for a number of years. The motor was nice. The only real issue I had with it, and this may have been resolved in later generations, is that the method of attaching the Driftmaster fence was a joke. Really poorly designed, and amateurish.

If you're not planning to get that fence, I'd say it's a nice bandsaw. Table was a little small, but it is a 14" bandsaw, so that goes with the territory. Ultimately I went much bigger with a Felder, but not your issue.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Jamie - personnally, I wouldn't pay more than $1200 for that Laguna with everything included. Even though its like new, it is used.

Instead, I would buy the Harvey 14" C14 bandsaw - they are the manufacturer for Laguna for the 14SUV and have it priced competitively. 95% is the same saw - difference is they use bearing guides and different color: https://www.harveywoodworking.com/pr...hp-14-band-saw If you subscribe to Harvey's newsletters/emails and don't need it right away, I have seen it as low as $1249. I don't own it but have talked to them at long lengths about their dust processer and they are wonderful folks.

I own the 10-353 and it is a beast of a 14" saw - I feel the fence is better, like you said, but both are great saws. I was able to get my 10-353 for $1400 shipped before the tariffs hit, thus I lucked out. Either way, in summary, I would buy the Harvey and save some money if I was buying now because the Rikon is inflated due to the tariffs.

After having a saw without a brake I wouldn't do it...thus a no for the 10-326
    Last edited by Mike Tekin; 12-04-2020 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tekin View Post
    Jamie - personnally, I wouldn't pay more than $1200 for that Laguna with everything included. Even though its like new, it is used.

Instead, I would buy the Harvey 14" C14 bandsaw - they are the manufacturer for Laguna for the 14SUV and have it priced competitively. 95% is the same saw - difference is they use bearing guides and different color: https://www.harveywoodworking.com/pr...hp-14-band-saw If you subscribe to Harvey's newsletters/emails and don't need it right away, I have seen it as low as $1249. I don't own it but have talked to them at long lengths about their dust processer and they are wonderful folks.

I own the 10-353 and it is a beast of a 14" saw - I feel the fence is better, like you said, but both are great saws. I was able to get my 10-353 for $1400 shipped before the tariffs hit, thus I lucked out. Either way, in summary, I would buy the Harvey and save some money if I was buying now because the Rikon is inflated due to the tariffs.

After having a saw without a brake I wouldn't do it...thus a no for the 10-326
    Thanks, excellent feedback Mike. I have looked at the Harvey's so I am familiar. Will take another look. I don't think the guy would consider $1200, but agree with your points.
    Last edited by Jamie Hoskins; 12-04-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Hoskins View Post
    So I am in the common position of deciding what Bandsaw to buy. I am a weekend warrior that will want the ability to do various tasks with the bandsaw. I will need to do some periodic resawing, but not of large logs or anything like that. For example, I have some very nice old barnwood that I will be using to make a Green Egg Table. I have some boards that are 4/4 and I will resaw them into 1/2" boards for door frames, etc. These range from 4" wide to a max of 10-12", but those will be few and far between. I will then use it for other common bandsaw tasks. Nothing out of the ordinary. I don't turn, so no bowl blanks or anything like that.

I have considered 14" - 18" saws. While an 18" would be nice, I don't think I want or need to take up that much room for what I will be doing. It's simply overkill. This isn't a daily or even weekly use item for me. I have looked at Laguna, Rikon, and Grizzly. Just not a fan of the Grizzly overall although they seem to be a good value.

So I am basically down to the Laguna and Rikon. Laguna has such a long wait that I have given up on the idea of a new 14BX simply due to the wait even though it was just on sale. It appears to me the 14 SUV is either discontinued or they just aren't making them at all right now. I like the 10-353 Rikon due to weight and HP although I also come back to the 10-326 as a nice general purpose saw. Both Rikons have the better fence it appears (vs. the standard Laguna fence). So where does the 14 SUV come into play, well there is a like new, used one a couple of hours from me and I think it is probably the best saw of my options. I am aware of the table height issues, but for as much as I am going to use it, I don't think any of them are make or break for me.

As I see it, here is where I am:

Rikon 10-326 - Approx $1400 delivered to me. There is a promo to include a mobility cart, but that is not a make or break it issue in my consideration. Lighter machine, 1.75hp, 5 Year warranty.
    Rikon 10-353 - Approx 1950-$2000 to me. Heavier, 3HP, 5 Year warranty, better fence
    Laguna 14SUV - Asking $1900 with 3 blades, $1800 with one. Heavier, 3Hp, Standard fence only. 2 hour drive to pick it up. probably out of warranty.

So I think I like the Laguna in general as I like the idea of the ceramic guides, known quality, etc, but think I need to factor in no warranty.

I am one to want to offer a fair price. Everyone wants things as cheap as possible, but what are your opinions on these options and if you think the Laguna is the best option what would be a fair price to pay. Not looking to lowball.

Thanks.
    The 14BX is a nice saw, I have one and love it. The 14SUV is really nice and if you can pick up one resale in great shape, that do it. However given it is 2k new, 1800 seems a bit of stretch for any used machine. Mine as well buy new if you can get one.

However - another option - send an e-mail to Morgan at Laguna and ask him if he has a machine. He is the contact for the Laguna outlet. He sent me my 14BX and it was a demo that was on display at a trade show or something. He also tossed in a blade, and i saved a fair amount of $$$. When I got it, it was in perfect shape. Looks like it never even had been turned on, although I was told it was tested pre-ship. His e-mail address is on the top of the http://lagunatoolsoutlet.com/ web page.

Unless those 3 blades with the Laguna are ReSaw Kings, then the price is high for a used saw.

Attachment for Driftmaster fence is a joke on many Laguna saws. Just wait’ll you try and open
    the lower door on some of them with it on.

Thanks all.

I talked to Harvey and think their 14" machine is a viable option but it is out of stock as of Friday. They said it looks like January for new shipments. I have sent Morgan at Laguna an email to see if he has anything available. At this point I am not going to make an offer on the SUV until I see if any of the other options pan out. The guy at Harvey said they do sales quite often. Their 15" is nice, but for that money I would get the Rikon 10-347. It's not a rush, but I don't have a lot of patience either so who knows I may end up with an 18".

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Hoskins View Post
    Thanks all.

I talked to Harvey and think their 14" machine is a viable option but it is out of stock as of Friday. They said it looks like January for new shipments. I have sent Morgan at Laguna an email to see if he has anything available. At this point I am not going to make an offer on the SUV until I see if any of the other options pan out. The guy at Harvey said they do sales quite often. Their 15" is nice, but for that money I would get the Rikon 10-347. It's not a rush, but I don't have a lot of patience either so who knows I may end up with an 18".
    I am with you on the patients... I ordered a Laguna dust collector on Monday and have not heard anything about a shipment yet. As far as I know it's not backordered but I am sure the big sale they had gave them a small backlog. Hopefully Morgan has something for you or the Harvey works out. I do like the ceramic guides a lot on my 14BX. Takes a few minutes to adjust when changing blades and that's it.

Jamie,

I can highly recommend the Rikon 10-347. I took delivery of one the beginning of October, upgrading from a Rikon 10-325 and the difference is night an day. Resawing on the 14" was always an iffy proposition. If I was going to slice veneer I'd have to make sure I had extra stock to compensate for the bad cuts. On the 347 it's no concern at all. I just set the fence and do one slice after another. I've got a Resaw King on the saw at the moment but even with a Timberline 1/2" the saw cut straight and consistently. I don't know if Rikon has sold all the saws they received in the last shipment but it would be worth it to check.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I'll echo what others have said about the price of the used Laguna, it is way too high. The SUV used to sell for 1800 new, if I remember correctly, and only the past couple years or so increased to $2k, which puts it at the same price as the 18 BX (which I have, I think it is a great value saw for its capabilities).

You can see if the seller is flexible on pricing, but if not, and you aren't in a rush, I would pass.

If you are looking to spend up to $2k, look to see if any local laguna dealers have an 18 BX in stock. Don't order it if they don't have it, as I have heard of some waiting for months. If there isn't one available, definitely take a closer look at the Rikons!

Something I don't believe anyone has mentioned re 14" vs. 18". Some blades, especially the thicker carbide tipped prefer a larger diameter wheel. The bands fatigue less so live longer. The carbide tipped bands are usually .032" or thicker vs. .025" usually found on 14" saws.

Jaimie,

Too bad you're so far away. There's an 18bx in stock at a store in northeast Indiana. But if you really like road trips....

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Thanks again all for the feedback. I wish we had more Laguna dealers around me (Nasvhille), but on their website it only shows the Woodcrafts in Franklin (very near to me), Chattanooga, and Birmingham. They are all going to have the same issue with ordering a new one. If they would have had an 18BX in stock or even available to ship within 30 days I would have bought one especially since it came with a free resaw king blade and was on sale. While I am not in "hurry" I also don't want to wait until April or May.

I have kind of set my ceiling price at 2k not really because of the money so much, but simply that this is a tool that will maybe get used 10-15 time per year. I get a hair every now and then to make something (I made a nice bed and dresser a few years back out of Brazilian Cherry) and I like having the right tools to do the job. I moved about 18 months ago and sold a 14" delta with riser and 6" jet Jointer knowing I would replace them at my new place. Just now getting around to a project that I want them for. I will also be looking for a 6 or 8" jointer with helical blades so by keeping the bandsaw price down a bit I don't feel so bad spending more on a decent jointer.

It basically all comes down to being practical. I like and will pay for good equipment, but there is a balance to be had with how much I will use them. I am fairly set on a 3HP motor in either size simply so I can resaw without worrying about things bogging down and not cursing for having to move at a snails pace.

I believe the 10-347 is what I would get if I really wanted to spend $2500+ but I think it's really just more saw than I need and at some point I have to just say its more money than it's worth for my use. If Morgan doesn't get back to me next week with something, I will just keep an eye on the Harvey 14CX for a sale in the next month. I may even offer the guy with the SUV $1200 and if he realizes the reality, that would be a fine saw for what I need and give me some more flexibility on my jointer purchase.

I appreciate everyone's input. I think I know what I am comfortable with now, just need to see what deal works out first.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Jaimie,

Too bad you're so far away. There's an 18bx in stock at a store in northeast Indiana. But if you really like road trips....

Cliff
    Yeah, just a bit farther than I am looking to go.

I agree that a heavier, larger saw is going to likely give you more in the long run, so the Rikon or a big Grizzly in your budget is a much better choice than that used Laguna.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...