Thread: Rehandling Backsaws

Rehandling Backsaws

I have a couple miter box saws i want to re-handle. What saw will make that so very thin kerf for the saw plate. I intend to leave plenty of width to the rough handles in the event that I don't do my part precisely on the saw kerf. Much obliged for any suggestions.

I would think you would use the saw plate that you are making the handle for?

Jack, it is not the (thin) kerf that is important, but the smoothness of the cut. That is a function of the amount of set the teeth have. Too much set and the teeth will wander in the kerf and leave a coarse finish. Too little set and the teeth will bind. A thinner saw plate with cut more easily (less resistance), but not more smoothly, per se. The number of teeth and their rake angle is the area upon which you need to focus.

Regards from Perth

Derek

If you are going to re-use the same saw plate in the new handle.....use the saw to cut the kerf in the new handle....Biggest thing to watch out for, is the mortise where the plate's back will enter the new handle....needs to be centered, the correct width and depth ( snug fit is nice) depth is both the down from the top edge, and back towards the back of the handle.

Also...don't worry about the plate's set......as when you tighten the saw bolts down tight ( clock the slots?) they tend to close up any gap between the wood handle, and the plate..
    Last edited by steven c newman; 12-04-2020 at 1:25 AM.

Blog Entries
    Hi Jack, This old post might be of help with cutting the kerfs in your handles > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?180712

Doing this using a saw plate having no set on the teeth will make for a tight fit. If you do not have such, a saw plate that is thinner might do the trick.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-06-2020 at 11:00 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    A bandsaw will make a fine kerf. If you do not have a bandsaw it is good excuse to get one.

I never could trust the bandsaw to make a perfectly straight cut....just saying....