Thread: new video series from Peter Galbert

new video series from Peter Galbert

Foundation in Chair Making with Peter Galbert

Peter Galbert has just started a series of videos on Vimeo.
    I have watched the first video and think it is going to be an exceptional series. Much of what he is teaching will apply not just to chairmanning, but to other aspects of wood working. Peter is an excellent teacher. He is very knowledgeable in his craft and presents things clearly, logically and with well done video.

For many of us, being able to take a week long class with the associated fees, motel and meal expenses is just not possible. The covid-19 pandemic has caused many educators to revamp their teaching methods. I think this class will end up being a real bargain.

Even though I have made a few chairs I am looking foreward to learning and improving my woodworking.
    I have his 2 part Vimeo series on milk paint and can recommend that one as well as his book “Chairmaker’s Notebook”

The price now is $69.99, but will go up after he releases more videos.

I am nothing more than a very satisfied customer and am hoping to share this news with others.

This is his description from Vimeo:

“This series is basically a deep dive chair making class, covering all aspects of making chairs using both green wood and dry wood. The information in these videos will lay the groundwork for more complex projects. The 2 projects covered (a modern perch and a classic hoopback stool) will introduce design concepts and all the tools and techniques needed to get a start, as well as offering a deeper understanding of the goals and processes in chair making. This series is made up of 2 parts, each with multiple sessions. The total instruction time will be 8-10 hours. The installments will be uploaded over the months following December 2020 and the price includes all the Foundation videos as well as those to come. The price will increase as new videos are uploaded so early purchasing guarantees the lowest price. Plans for the projects featured will be available soon.”

Information on Peter’s blog “Chair Notes”
    https://www.petergalbert.com/blog

I am subscribed to Pete’s blog and got this info, too. Sounds like a good series of videos. I do have his book and it is excellent. I would add that Elia Bizzarri and Curtis Buchanan are doing some online classes, as well.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Based on what you have seen so far how do Peter’s videos compare to the free ones from Curtis Buchanan?

I think both are really good. So much information presented in them that they are worth watching more than once. Both Curtis and Peter are excellent teachers. Not everyone who is an exceptional craft person can explain how and why they do what they do in a clear easy to understand way like Curtis and Peter can.

I believe Galbert's new series will be especially good for someone starting out in Windsor chair making and a good refresher for the more experienced.

I was signed up for a chairmaking class with Peter Galbert last May at Pinecroft School in Berea, KY. I was relieved but also disappointed when it had to be canceled. I already had his book and read it cover to cover. To help Mr. Galbert maintain income, I will buy the video series. Here is something that is different. I want to build a chair but do not really want to be a chair maker. An in person class provides specialty tools and materials that I cannot easily provide on my own. I would have a chair that I “made” at the end of the week. I might never go home to make another chair. The same one and only chair would take a lot more time and money on my own. I understand that a class is to chairmaking as a visit to Epcot is to a round the world trip but it would have satisfied my curiosity. A class is like woodworking tourism. I hope classes eventually return.

Thomas, that is exactly what I thought last year - and, four Windsors later I am working on the 5th! I thought woodturning was a deep vortex when I started that in 2009. Little did I know....

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Thomas, that is exactly what I thought last year - and, four Windsors later I am working on the 5th! I thought woodturning was a deep vortex when I started that in 2009. Little did I know....
    Maybe I should go ahead and order the scorp.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Maybe I should go ahead and order the scorp.
    One thing about a quality tool is it can be treated like a rental and resold when one has decided it has served is purpose. Besides, there are no late fees. Some of my tools, purchased new a decade ago, have increased in price enough to recover my full cost.

Dang! Just checked ebay and a #1 has 22 bids and is currently priced ~#110 more than my cost. This one is being sold as new in box. My original box and packing is on a shelf and the plane isn't scratched up from use. Though since it does occasionally present itself as the best tool for a particular job there is no intention of selling it.

The Lie-Nielsen site doesn't currently list a #1 or #2 plane.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-05-2020 at 2:43 PM. Reason: Dang! Just checked ebay
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)