Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Mortising machine - clean mortises?

I had the Jet mortiser about 10 years ago. I spent lots of time sharpening the chisels but never could get smooth walled mortises. finally sold it and now I use my router and homemade mortising jig

2. Always turn material and don't burst straight through, keep chisels sharp, for 6mm you shouldn't have any problem if chisel is sharp, and square to the fence as someone else has mentioned. You won't get a "dressed " interior though if that's what you are after.

Stephen

3. I'd suggest your auger is too far below the chisel to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Henson View Post
    I'd suggest your auger is too far below the chisel to be honest.
    A dishonest auger. I’ll have to remember that the next time something goes horribly wrong! ;^)

More just a random comment than a contribution. I have one of those “get back to” projects in the queue which will require 36 (if I recall correctly) mortises, with at least eight of them through versions. I’ve only so far cut practice mortises by hand, and I’m not looking forward to the notion of doing them all this way. As usual, the Creek is a great resource for learning, thanks all.

im beginning to see a proper mortising machine in my shop in the not too distant future...
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

I've always wanted a mortising machine but still have always cut my mortises by drilling then cleaning up by hand. This requires very accurate layout and the use of marking gauges and knife lines. I enjoy the process but there are times that I would much prefer to bang them out with a machine accurately. I've always longed for a horizontal mortising machine and most recently I have been very intrigued by the Pantorouter. I like the idea of being able to cut mortises and tenons on this machine at any angle.

Having said this I would also really enjoy having a floor model Hollow Chisel Mortiser, something like the Powermatic 719T. That machine really looks like a beast and with some really sharp chisels could create really accurate mortises.