Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grizzly g0673 10hp dust collector

Oneida C2500 cyclone body , 12" inlet is $1860 .

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Bill, it's a one person shop.
    That may be but if he is running a planer that needs 10 hp of dust collection it can fill those bags fast. I have no idea what machines he has that need so much DC. For a one man shop I would think 5hp would be enough but he says he has a 130 foot run so he may need that extra horsepower just because of duct friction over such a long run.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    That may be but if he is running a planer that needs 10 hp of dust collection it can fill those bags fast. I have no idea what machines he has that need so much DC. For a one man shop I would think 5hp would be enough but he says he has a 130 foot run so he may need that extra horsepower just because of duct friction over such a long run.
    Bill D
    But again, despite the long distance, there is the issue of maintaining velocity and with a one person operation, you can't expect a single gate at a machine, even a larger planer or sander, to do that. This is one of those situations where it might seem like the big blower is an advantage, but it's not because while that blower is relatively inexpensive, the OP's going to need to spend big bucks on duct work at a minimum since it also increases the 3-phase power load as well as a cyclone if he chooses pre-separation over exhausting debris outside into some form of container. It's likely more cost effective and better for collection to have a smaller unit closer to the tools. It's all about compromises here...both in materials and money.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

But again, despite the long distance, there is the issue of maintaining velocity and with a one person operation, you can't expect a single gate at a machine, even a larger planer or sander, to do that. This is one of those situations where it might seem like the big blower is an advantage, but it's not because while that blower is relatively inexpensive, the OP's going to need to spend big bucks on duct work at a minimum since it also increases the 3-phase power load as well as a cyclone if he chooses pre-separation over exhausting debris outside into some form of container. It's likely more cost effective and better for collection to have a smaller unit closer to the tools. It's all about compromises here...both in materials and money.
    I have considered multiple smaller units next to their respective machines as I could get the 2hp Harbor Freight units locally for around $200 each. Multiple that times 12 and the price is very close. Duct work expense is not a factor tor me. I recently purchased a bunch of duct and larger fittings from an HVAC supply house that closed down. I would just prefer to have a single unit that is located out back (My shop is in the sticks) but I am considering all options.

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    The most interesting thing you've offered to me is the 130 ft. trunk line . All 12 drops off a single line ? If so a re-design is needed to me , multiple smaller branches or multiple DC's . Can you offer a sketch or a drawing ? Really not too sure what you have .
    Hey James, it’s not one single long 130ft run. It’s several 20ft and longer runs with separate runs branching off here or there.I don’t think that my layout is able to be altered but I will make a sketch sometime today and post it because if you guys could come up with a better layout I am all ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    that 10hp machine will be using a lot of time to empty all those bags. I would think they will be full every hour or sooner if the shop really need 10hp of dc.
    Bill D
    Bill, if I go with the 10hp Grizz I will likely vent it outdoors as my shop is in a very rural location. I am open to getting a cyclone and placing it in the shop to pre separate and just blow out the small stuff outdoors. Someone posted a 10” cyclone for roughly $1,800+/- and while I haven’t looked into it that might be a possible future upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    Hey James, it’s not one single long 130ft run. It’s several 20ft and longer runs with separate runs branching off here or there.I don’t think that my layout is able to be altered but I will make a sketch sometime today and post it because if you guys could come up with a better layout I am all ears!
    That is what everybody here is talking about , you don't have 130 ft. main line , you have multiple smaller ones . There is no reason to leave all gates open all the time . What is the length of the longest run ? If it's 30 - 40 ft. , you'd be fine w/ a 3 - 5 HP system . If the DC can be placed in a central location , that may help . Also , as you go up in HP and CFM , you don't want to use HVAC pipe , it's too thin . Some of those fittings are useful perhaps , some are crimped on the wrong side . What are the dimensions of your shop ?

The total length you need to worry about is the distance to the farthest drop, not the total network. That plus the calculations for bends in routing will determine what's required to do the job. The duct work design is also important to consider and quire often the most efficient path is on the diagonal, not straight lines with 90º bends. While I can see the attractiveness of that $2K 10hp blower from an initial price standpoint, I suggest you reach out to folks like Oneida and Clearview and Air Handling Systems to get their input on what a well designed dust collection system for your shop would look like. I not saying you need to buy from them, but it will give you more information from experts who focus on dust collection systems.
    --

Bobby, I just took a closer look at the unit you are considering to use for your application. You are going to have a significant engineering challenge using that particular machine the way you want to...the blower is specifically designed to support four bag-type filters and has four outlets arranged radially around the blower housing. You cannot just close off three of them...they all need to be used in order for the machine to be able to move the expected air flow. That's going to make for a very complicated exhaust setup if you want to exhaust outside, with or without preseparation. For what you want to do, the optimal blower will have one inlet and one outlet that are matched to the expected air flow for the unit.
    --

Bobby, I just took a closer look at the unit you are considering to use for your application. You are going to have a significant engineering challenge using that particular machine the way you want to...the blower is specifically designed to support four bag-type filters and has four outlets arranged radially around the blower housing. You cannot just close off three of them...they all need to be used in order for the machine to be able to move the expected air flow. That's going to make for a very complicated exhaust setup if you want to exhaust outside, with or without preseparation. For what you want to do, the optimal blower will have one inlet and one outlet that are matched to the expected air flow for the unit.
    Jim, I will remove the intake splitter and run the 10” pipe directly from the intake on the blower. It is held on by screws and is easily removable. I will likely build a lean to outside my shop and just leave the unit out there with the bags and filters removed if necessary. Otherwise I will disconnect the part of the unit that houses the bags and filters and just have the blower directed into a bin. If that is not possible, I will come up with something. The HVAC pipe that I have is mostly spiral pipe. Which would be absolutely fine for this application.

The total length you need to worry about is the distance to the farthest drop, not the total network. That plus the calculations for bends in routing will determine what's required to do the job. The duct work design is also important to consider and quire often the most efficient path is on the diagonal, not straight lines with 90º bends. While I can see the attractiveness of that $2K 10hp blower from an initial price standpoint, I suggest you reach out to folks like Oneida and Clearview and Air Handling Systems to get their input on what a well designed dust collection system for your shop would look like. I not saying you need to buy from them, but it will give you more information from experts who focus on dust collection systems.
    I will take your advice and call Oneida and Clearview before I make a final decision on which way I will go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    Jim, I will remove the intake splitter and run the 10” pipe directly from the intake on the blower. It is held on by screws and is easily removable. I will likely build a lean to outside my shop and just leave the unit out there with the bags and filters removed if necessary. Otherwise I will disconnect the part of the unit that houses the bags and filters and just have the blower directed into a bin. If that is not possible, I will come up with something. The HVAC pipe that I have is mostly spiral pipe. Which would be absolutely fine for this application.
    The intake is easy. It's the exit that's the issue...there are four of them radially around the blower housing. That blower is designed specifically for a four bag system. If you remove the bags, you still have four outlets arranged around the blower and you have to account for all of them. Putting it outside like you describe will work nicely...until you overfill the cyclone bin and then fill your lean-to with material. It happens...see Bob's recent thread that pretty much all of us with cyclones have experienced. You may not have filters to clean, but...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-09-2020 at 10:21 AM.
    --

The intake is easy. It's the exit that's the issue...there are four of them radially around the blower housing. That blower is designed specifically for a four bag system. If you remove the bags, you still have four outlets arranged around the blower and you have to account for all of them.
    Like Jim says, that will be some interesting plumbing:
    G0673 Blower.jpg
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

For any dust collection system you need to select the blower for the SP losses and the CFM required, For you sitation, you need to select the fan for the worst case SP and the max CFM required. That branch would be wide open, all other branches would operate above minimum velocity requirements or would have a way of limiting airflow when they are in operation.