Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly g0673 10hp dust collector

Grizzly g0673 10hp dust collector

Hey guys, just wondering what you guys think about the Grizzly g0673 10hp dust collector? It seems like a lot of bang for your buck at under $2k for a 10hp d/c. Would it support 10” or 12” trunk lines? I would probably get rid of the bags and vent it outdoors. I doubt any off the shelf typical aftermarket cyclones would work with it. Or do you guys know of any aftermarket cyclones that could be added?

Don't forget you have to add in the cost of providing 3-phase power if you don't have that native to your shop to the cost of that machine. The intake port to the blower is 10" and that has to be figured into any aftermarket cyclone you consider adding in front of it as well as your duct work network. If you have a large shop where multiple tools will be running simultaneously, this may be a good path. If you are a one-person operation...it may not be ideal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Curious about your shop . That's a big DC , are you running 2 - 3 machines at one time? Oneida sells large cyclone bodies , they are crazy expensive .

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    Curious about your shop . That's a big DC , are you running 2 - 3 machines at one time? Oneida sells large cyclone bodies , they are crazy expensive .
    No, pretty much just one at a time, but I have a large shop with a lot of machines and my shop is an odd shape which would make the trunk line complicated. My reasoning for going with this 10hp Grizz is because I wanted it to be able to support 12 machine drops and be able to comfortably use 130ft of total trunk line not including the fittings or drops. I will be using 30 pieces of 10” or 12” pipe for my trunk line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Don't forget you have to add in the cost of providing 3-phase power if you don't have that native to your shop to the cost of that machine. The intake port to the blower is 10" and that has to be figured into any aftermarket cyclone you consider adding in front of it as well as your duct work network. If you have a large shop where multiple tools will be running simultaneously, this may be a good path. If you are a one-person operation...it may not be ideal.
    Got 3 phase via multiple RPC’s. The wire and breaker going to my 3ph panel aren’t that much. Maybe $50 or so for the breaker and another $300 or so for the wire and conduit. Doubt that I can find any aftermarket cyclones to fit a 10” intake without going to one of the massive outdoor style cyclones which would likely be cost prohibitive although I am open to any suggestions. If I could find a cyclone for it for $1k I might be down for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    ... I would probably get rid of the bags and vent it outdoors. ...
    Some food for thought...
    'Venting' outdoors might be a problem if the blower unit is located indoors. It looks to me like the ducting required (tied-in in place of the bags), to discharge outside would be a challenge, to say the least.

Or, are you planning to simply locate the blower outside? Suction-side ducting should be fairly simple if this is the case.

Hey guys, just wondering what you guys think about the Grizzly g0673 10hp dust collector? It seems like a lot of bang for your buck at under $2k for a 10hp d/c. Would it support 10” or 12” trunk lines? I would probably get rid of the bags and vent it outdoors. I doubt any off the shelf typical aftermarket cyclones would work with it. Or do you guys know of any aftermarket cyclones that could be added?
    Can you just get the blower and the motor?
    Not having to buy a filtration system you don't want would save some money. I'm looking for a blower like this to hook up to one machine, and shoot the dust right into a trailer. The trailer acts as cyclone, dust collection bin, and transportation to a farm, all in one. It's an old boat trailer that my father bought in 1967. Now it looks like the beginner welding class at tech school used it as a punishment project. Looks better this year, I painted it red with some no good primer. Now that that's discussed, how much is just the blower? It should work fine in a one person shop, given that you can shut it off when you aren't using it. Watch the prevailing wind when setting it up. A downwind laundry line can end marital bliss.

No, pretty much just one at a time, but I have a large shop with a lot of machines and my shop is an odd shape which would make the trunk line complicated. My reasoning for going with this 10hp Grizz is because I wanted it to be able to support 12 machine drops and be able to comfortably use 130ft of total trunk line not including the fittings or drops. I will be using 30 pieces of 10” or 12” pipe for my trunk line.
    The issue is that with only one gate open, it's barely getting the expected air flow...and the material extracted may very well end up lying in your big 10" main line. Dust collection is about moving a large volume of air at a particular velocity which in turn moves the dust/chips. If your shop is that spread out and you're concerned with distance, your best, most efficient solution may very well be more than one DC if you are a one man shop. If you choose to go with this system, you'll pretty much need to leave multiple gates open simultaneously even if you are not using more than one tool at a time. (That will kick up the noise level, so be sure to account for that in your personal PPE)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-05-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    --

Blog Entries
    Bag units put a lot of stuff back in the air. If you are venting outside I would just pursue a blower and go with it. If, like me, you plan to vent outside but, need to separate first (meaning the tiny bit that gets past the cyclone is OK but a full blown stream of spoil is not) I would look to a cyclone. I do not know that you are gong to find a blower and cyclone at your $2k-ish budget level. You may want to consider a couple of units distributed so as to minimize the run length. This will still probably break the budget but, may not approach the Oneida 10HP cyclone level of dollars. You would have to do the math. A G0683 as a single unit may be on par with a pair of smaller units unless you got luck in the used market.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Since this is a one man shop total trunk line length is meaningless. All that matters is maximum line length to the single farthest run. unless you are running a cnc machine with autofeed at the same time you do something else at a different dust port.
    Bill D

Where I work we use air flow regulators to make sure the exhaust lines don't draw too much of a vacuum. They are similar to a draft control for a furnace. They use adjustable springs so if the blower draws too much of a vacuum the force will open the valve and allow more air to enter the system. They are very simple and I'm sure cheap. Adding one to the end of the 10" duct run should keep the air volume high enough to ensure good dust removal.

that 10hp machine will be using a lot of time to empty all those bags. I would think they will be full every hour or sooner if the shop really need 10hp of dc.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    that 10hp machine will be using a lot of time to empty all those bags. I would think they will be full every hour or sooner if the shop really need 10hp of dc.
    Bill D
    Bill, it's a one person shop.
    --

Really for a one man shop likely a G0442 would be a better option at only $500 more than the G0673. No need for any add on cost for a cyclone and an 8" trunk should be sufficient for your needs. It's what I put in my shop. I built an external closet for mine to reduce noise but I am using the filters and not venting outside to keep my shop moisture content low in the summer and not lose heat in the winter. It is a really good value for a 5HP single phase cyclone DC.

Workshop_1.jpg DC_Closet.jpg DSC03183.jpg

The most interesting thing you've offered to me is the 130 ft. trunk line . All 12 drops off a single line ? If so a re-design is needed to me , multiple smaller branches or multiple DC's . Can you offer a sketch or a drawing ? Really not too sure what you have .