Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Is it possible to glue Acrylic to Wood? If so, What Kind of Glue Should I Use?

  1. #1

    Is it possible to glue Acrylic to Wood? If so, What Kind of Glue Should I Use?

    Howdy Howdy, love this forum.

    In my weird little business, I have to make all my own basic tooling by hand, as my needs and applications are so specific.

    I have a work-holding tool I need to create for a couple specific tasks. The end of the tool will be exposed to water (while sanding and grinding the work piece), so either metal or plastic would be better than wood. The wood I'll be using would be a 2x2, or maybe 1.5 x 1.5". Is there a glue that would hold the Acrylic to the end long-term? I could also put in a couple screen to snug it up.

    What would be perfect does not appear to be available. An Arylic square rod (or any durable plastic) at 2x2 would work great but Acrylic seems to stop at 1.0" square. Does anyone know if you can get Acrylic larger, or any other kind of durable plastic?

    Thanks in advance for your insights and suggestions.

    sm
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 12-02-2020 at 8:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    2,086
    I have no idea what glue would work, but I highly recommend polycarbonate instead of acrylic. Acrylic will crack and shatter, polycarbonate will not.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    NE OH
    Posts
    1,413
    Mcmaster has polycarbonate bar 2x2, but you won't like the price! While you are there, you might look at garolite or fiberglass as a more economical choice. Or even PVC.
    --Certainty is the refuge of a small mind--

  4. #4
    Maybe polyurethane glue if you roughed up the acrylic or polycarbonate, but if it is going to be near water, I have my doubts. I certainly would not expect it to have any strength for any length of time, and your reference to grinding doesn't bode well for this solution.

    I would recommend finding a way to use metal fasteners or else get some aluminum 2 x 2 square tube and mount it to that. Maybe a different plastic that is available in 2x2 solid or tube. For that matter, would a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe work?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I have no idea what glue would work, but I highly recommend polycarbonate instead of acrylic. Acrylic will crack and shatter, polycarbonate will not.
    Thanks, Richard. I need something cheap, but will still take a look. Sometimes you can find end runs or remnants of stuff like that on eBay.

    Thanks Again,
    Scott

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Mcmaster has polycarbonate bar 2x2, but you won't like the price! While you are there, you might look at garolite or fiberglass as a more economical choice. Or even PVC.
    Thanks for the tips, Paul. Worth a look-see.

    Scott

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Maybe polyurethane glue if you roughed up the acrylic or polycarbonate, but if it is going to be near water, I have my doubts. I certainly would not expect it to have any strength for any length of time, and your reference to grinding doesn't bode well for this solution.

    I would recommend finding a way to use metal fasteners or else get some aluminum 2 x 2 square tube and mount it to that. Maybe a different plastic that is available in 2x2 solid or tube. For that matter, would a piece of 1 1/2" PVC pipe work?
    Andrew, thanks. For this application a hollow tube won't work. I think metal could be a good solution.

    Thanks,
    Scott

  8. #8
    Are you trying to solve a nonexistent problem. I can't see why an appropriate wood wouldn't work. Boats and oars have been serving in waterlogged environs for millennia. What do you think the problem wood be?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Westminster BC
    Posts
    1,576
    Can you use wood and seal it in epoxy?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Oskaloosa Iowa
    Posts
    135

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Western Nebraska
    Posts
    3,970
    Maybe micarta or G-10 would work, seems that they would both be tougher.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Dawson Creek, BC
    Posts
    1,008
    How about a 6x6x2 piece of UHMW plastic you can cut up. https://www.mcmaster.com/8752K931/

    McMaster has a number of inserts as well you can look at.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    55,385
    You can also laminate four or two smaller pieces of material to make your "stick" if you can get that material more economically. Solvent welded "plastic" materials pretty much become a single, monolithic structure if you do things correctly.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  14. #14
    Id look for aluminum stock at the scrap yard. My experience is that I can buy scrap metal for the salvage price. If you can only find tubing, could you make it work by filling it with Bondo?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Are you trying to solve a nonexistent problem. I can't see why an appropriate wood wouldn't work. Boats and oars have been serving in waterlogged environs for millennia. What do you think the problem wood be?
    This ^^^

    There may be obvious reasons we cannot see from the distance. What might they be?
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •