Thread: Sharpening Forstner bits?

Sharpening Forstner bits?

I have a 1 1/2" Freud forstner bit that needs sharpening.

Freud lists some possible places on the web site:

https://www.freudtools.com/partners/sharpening

Any recommendations?

Bob

I usually sharpen them myself. I use a diamond card and a Trend diamond tapered half round/flat file.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I usually sharpen them myself. I use a diamond card and a Trend diamond tapered half round/flat file.
    +1

Not hard to sharpen larger ones like that at all. The tapered file Robert shows is useful. I also find these very helpful, because the flat file surface is ideal for honing the large planing blades on a Forstner bit: https://www.mcmaster.com/diamond-fil...diamond-files/

I sharpen mine using a small grinding stone in a Foredom, or a Dremel type tool with a low speed would work. It makes them cut a lot better, I tried one in desperation and the result was so good that now I do any of them that seem dull when I start to drill with them.

Blog Entries
    Take a good picture before you send it out. If Freud is listing the sharpener there should be no problem but, one OJT worker being allowed to solo too soon can turn your cutter into junk real quick.

That being said I learned to sharpen my own due to starting out with inexpensive carbon steel Forstners. They required frequent touching up as Zach describes. I found a Dremel 952 or 953 shaped stone in the drill press worked best for inside the rim. I work the bit against the spinning stone in this scenario. The flats and point are dressed with a file. Your Freud will most likely be HSS and a diamond file will serve you best.

Most of my Forstners and sawtooth bits have been upgraded to HSS but, I still touch them up myself. If you want to send it out, judge the entire cots (shipping, taxes, etc.) to be sure you shouldn't just replace.

An articulating vise can help if you do this often but, is not necessary.

Forstner Sharpening HSS (2).jpg . Forstner Sharpening HSS (1).jpg

A thing-a-ma-jig like this is handy for this and other tasks.

Vise jig for rounds (2)_renamed_11132.jpgVise jig for rounds (1).JPG
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use an auger bit file that is "safe" on adjacent sides
    auger bit file.png
    Last edited by Bradley Gray; 12-03-2020 at 12:21 PM.

Thanks very much. I think I will try to sharpen it myself. Good to know for my other forstner bits too.