Thread: Blade for cutting nails on table saw

Blade for cutting nails on table saw

I have a situation that I need to cut dozen 16 ga nails in a length of 3/4 wood. Yes I know it will dull a good carbide blade but there must be an alternative. I could use a circular saw with a cheapie blade but I wonder is there a blade made for the table saw that would do the job without having to be resharpened immediately?

7 1/4 blades for nail embedded wood are readily available. You might get enough depth of cut with one of those on a tablesaw to do 3/4 stock.... I've not seen larger blades for nail embedded wood.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I wouldn't worry to much about the cut. Take it slow and use a blade that was headed to the sharpener soon. It's really not that serious.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I wouldn't worry to much about the cut. Take it slow and use a blade that was headed to the sharpener soon. It's really not that serious.
    The serious part will be flying carbides and sending sparks inside the table saw and dust lines. Even if you don't run the dust collector, there is still fine dust in the cracks and crevices to catch the hot sparks.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    The serious part will be flying carbides and sending sparks inside the table saw and dust lines. Even if you don't run the dust collector, there is still fine dust in the cracks and crevices to catch the hot sparks.
    We hear about this danger of hot sparks igniting stuff but does it really happen? Admittedly once is too often but is it something that happens with any sort of frequency in the hobby shop? It might be fodder for another thread but has anybody had this happen personally on the table saw or know positively of someone this has happened to?
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-03-2020 at 10:30 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

[QUOTE=Bernie Kopfer;3075341]
    The serious part will be flying carbides and sending sparks inside the table saw and dust lines. Even if you don't run the dust collector, there is still fine dust in the cracks and crevices to catch the hot sparks.[/QUOTE

We hear about this danger of hot sparks igniting stuff but does it really happen? Admittedly once is too often but is it something that happens with any sort of frequency in the hobby shop? It might be fodder for another thread but has anybody had this happen personally on the table saw or know positively of someone this has happened to?

Why not use a pair of bolt cutters? If you have the hand strength, try a pair of Kliens. AKA, lineman's pliers. I once had a concrete contractor who cut 6 X 6 #10 rewire with a pair of Kliens, why us mere mortals used bolt cutters. He used them one handed.

Another option. Drive them in almost all the way into a 2 X 4, on the 1 1/2" face. Using a 7 1/4" nail cutting blade, rip 2 X 4 to get desired length on nails. No flying pieces as they are embedded into the 2 X 4. Pull the needed nails out of 2 X 4.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I have a situation that I need to cut dozen 16 ga nails in a length of 3/4 wood.
    That's what Sawzall blades are for. Or Bosch Bi-metal blades for your jig saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

[QUOTE=Bernie Kopfer;3075341]
    The serious part will be flying carbides and sending sparks inside the table saw and dust lines. Even if you don't run the dust collector, there is still fine dust in the cracks and crevices to catch the hot sparks.[/QUOTE

I did, that's why I mention it fairly often. It was at my 2 man business shop though. Ripping MDF strips for a torsion box. Shut the saw off for lunch and smelled smoke when we came back to work. Found a smoldering ball of dust inside the cabinet of the Griggio short slider. If it had started burning with the machinery and dust collector running, it would have gone into the bin inside the shop and it would probably have been a disaster in the middle of the night. We cleaned out the bin and even vacuumed it completely and took all that outside to the dumpster. Put quite a scare in me.