Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need to replace my ROS, anybody use the Craftsman?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Lot of people on here knocking Craftsman power tools. Sears sold Craftsman power tools from cheaper than cheap to Professional. Every Professional Craftsman tool I have used was very good quality. The cheap drills could be burned up in the first use, mid range would last an hour or two of heavy abusive use., the professional line just kept on going. Black and Decker was the same way back then 1960-1980. 1/2" Craftsman drill paid $60 for it late 1970's run it for hours with a 1" auger bit in wood from 1913. You better hang on it as it wasn't stopping. Had to pull the plug on it more than once when someone else used it and it got the better of them. & 1/4 worm drive saw will cut or kick back at you when it binds no stopping it. Haven't been able to buy Craftsman or Black and Decker Professional line since 1990 or before. My Craftsman 1/2" drill got stolen in 1998 still would buy one if I could find one.
    Ron
    There were a very select handful of Craftsman Professional tools that did exist, however the stuff they build now and maybe the last 20 years is basically not such good quality. Craftsman has a name for itself that is existed when Sears was thriving back in the mid 1900's and on their hand-tools/mechanics tools. Now that Craftsman is no longer a 'Sears' thing, they are basically pumping out low-end electric tools and riding the coat-tails of the 1960's Craftsman name.

I have a bunch of craftsman mechanics tools sets and they are all just fine. No motors and no moving parts except a ratchet. Except now if I break a socket I don't think the 'new' craftsman is going to support the warranty.

This is really a brand positioning thing at this point given that Craftsman is a Stanley Black and Decker brand and they seem to have been massaging things with Dewalt toward the top and Craftsman a bit below that with PC kinda getting completely out of the focus if what folks are hearing is correct. The big purveyor of Craftsman tools at this point is Lowes, although the brand is available elsewhere.

When it comes to sanders, I learned long ago that better quality is a lot more comfortable to use. So if you can actually test for vibration, dust control, etc., that's a good thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    There were a very select handful of Craftsman Professional tools that did exist, however the stuff they build now and maybe the last 20 years is basically not such good quality. Craftsman has a name for itself that is existed when Sears was thriving back in the mid 1900's and on their hand-tools/mechanics tools. Now that Craftsman is no longer a 'Sears' thing, they are basically pumping out low-end electric tools and riding the coat-tails of the 1960's Craftsman name.

I have a bunch of craftsman mechanics tools sets and they are all just fine. No motors and no moving parts except a ratchet. Except now if I break a socket I don't think the 'new' craftsman is going to support the warranty.

I agree the quality no longer is there. I quit years ago trying to get replacements on Craftsman tools.
    Point I was trying to make was at one time Craftsman did make good tools along with cheap tools and several levels in between.
    Now days you need to put hands on every tool and then decide which one is best for you.
    Ron

Craftsman seems to be available at ACE in pretty good numbers to.

The prices are a lot higher than when you could buy them at a Sears store.

I have a Craftsman Professional ROS (Model 315.279890), purchased in 2007, that still works just as well as it did 13 years ago. With that said, I bought a 2 gallon vacuum this year and it is a piece of junk.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Allen View Post
    I have a Craftsman Professional ROS (Model 315.279890), purchased in 2007, that still works just as well as it did 13 years ago. With that said, I bought a 2 gallon vacuum this year and it is a piece of junk.
    This guy thinks the C'man vac is top notch after a head to head showdown between several brands. His was a lot bigger than 2gal though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSN7PXwn1yU

Like I hinted at before, top shelf co.'s can make crap and bottom dwellers can make gems. On the whole, you're odds are better staying with the top tier manufactures.

7. If I can throw my two cents into the pot.... For power tools that are going to get hard continuous use and/or use a variety of attachments, like 4 inch grinders. I get the cheapest Harbor Freight "ON SALE" grinder they have. I have about 7 or eight of the things with the various tools I use already on them ready for use. When one craps out, I toss it in the bucket. #1 son comes by occasionally and robs the cords and other stuff he uses and I take them to the recycler ever 5 or 10 years or so...

I do have a big Makita grinder and a Dewalt also. They only get used for finish work. I bought the Makita new in 1982.

For Power tools that are only going to get used for finish work like orbital or oscillating sanders I go ahead and get Makita, Bosch or DeWalt.

For cordless stuff I use Ryobi because that's what I have the most of.

But,

If I were doing this for a living, I would go 100% with the good stuff. Having a grinder crap out on me in the shop is a blessing because I get to take a break and go to town. Having one crap out in the middle of a job is wasted time, and time is money.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    This guy thinks the C'man vac is top notch after a head to head showdown between several brands. His was a lot bigger than 2gal though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSN7PXwn1yU

Like I hinted at before, top shelf co.'s can make crap and bottom dwellers can make gems. On the whole, you're odds are better staying with the top tier manufactures.

i have several C'man vacuums I love all of them 2 G, 20 G all purchased before 2010!
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

i have several C'man vacuums I love all of them 2 G, 20 G all purchased before 2010!

The test subject is a 2020 model, for reference.

As mentioned earlier, I stand by my review of the Craftsman RO sander even though I haven't purchase any other Craftsman power tools in over 30 years. But in all honesty, the tools made by the "better" manufacturers can be less than reliable. My Bosch Bulldog was a great tool that saw limited use and was well taken care of. Yet a plastic part on the switch mechanism broke and a trip to the Bosch factory service center revealed that the replacement part is no longer available and the tool is now worthless. The same for my Bosch 3 x 21 belt sander, which was my favorite among the five I have in the shop. Dealing with the Milwaukee factory service center here in Southern California was an exercise in frustration that required the Milwaukee sales rep getting involved. And unless you are a masochist, forget about dealing with the Dewalt factory service center here. I have had generally good experiences with Makita power tools as far as reliability and their factory service center is concerned. Although it has been years since purchasing any new tools from Hitachi, the ones I currently own have been reliable and my experiences with their factory service center has always been positive.

I have a couple of Dewalt ROS's and like them. Had one fail after a few years and replaced it with same, but with variable speed.

I had a Craftsman 5” ROS that I bought in the early 90’s . It went for years. When it quit I went to Bosch. I am on the second pad. It has worked flawless. I made my own adapter to hook a 2.5 dust collection hose to it. Now the dust collection works to!
    Charlie Jones

I've had the Craftsman for about ten years. No complaints, just replaced the pad. I've used Festools and they're awesome but for the price and amount of use I get out of mine, can't find a good argument to upgrade.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

"When it comes to sanders, I learned long ago that better quality is a lot more comfortable to use. So if you can actually test for vibration, dust control, etc., that's a good thing."
    --Jim Becker

BINGO! I have a PC 5" ROS that just seems to vibrate the devil out my hand at times. Starting to use my almost 30 year old and heavy PC half sheet sander more, even though the dust collection is somewhat lacking.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 12-14-2020 at 6:21 PM.