Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: General 650 purchase decision

have two 350's from new. Moving them I take the wings off and put them strapped to a quality fridge dolly with stair creeper. They dont weigh very much. Easy to move. Stairs better with two people They were good saws for the money whatever it was at the time and ive used them hard and never broken them. They had Canadian made and offshore ones, I thought the offshore ones were that newer badge, so with the side angled badge were they also canadian made?

If you took the whole top off youd have to re set up up and thats assuming its set up right at the moment. Taking off the wings was simple and re set up simple

Statement about the best doesnt excite me but if larger saws that have no sliding table are still called cabinet saws there there are lots of better saws. Even Poitras had one that size but a cast iron base, right away there is a better saw. I used a Poitras at a frends shop, bit larger and it was super smooth. Then in that bit larger size no sliding tables are they still called cabinet saws?

I have move a PM66 cabinet saw by myself by just using a cherry picker and straps with a standard open face trailer. Not easy but the cherry picker is the ticket. I left every thing on.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I’d go for the DC at 200 bucks. Better if you can get it for less. It’s better than any of the new alternatives for the same money. Which are few.

Bring different thicknesses of plywood to use as ramps/shims to bridge to your trailer’s ramp. 1x and 2x not a bad idea either.

If dissembling , you’ll need combo wrenches too. Channel Locks and a Mallet or dead blow hammer are handy too. And a piece of pipe that fits over your socket wrench handle.

Great saw, however General went out of business several years ago.

I owned a 650: they’re great saws, just remember that there is no support for General specific parts.....Rod.

I had to source parts for a 50 year old lathe clutch produced in England - twice because international shipping lost the first ones. Finding parts for a General seems easy by comparison. If the saw is in good shape there isn't much that couldn't be found or made. Good luck. Dave

Inverted on styrofoam might be good, fully assembled except the fence and rails. Maybe pad the motor. If moisture during transport is possible then do something about that.

Alternatively, rent or borrow a truck with power tailgate.

If your shop space is limited you might want to leave that outfeed table behind as it will clog your shop and unless building kitchen cabinets or other carpentry you can work around it with a portable roller.
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 12-12-2020 at 8:17 AM.

With three guys and a low trailer, all you need is a couple sheets of plywood for a ramp, and just walk it up. Not that big a deal.

No way would I remove the table, or even the cast wing. Just take off the extensions, and the fence (if necessary, I've done it both ways).

As someone said, front of the trailer, and tie it down good. It is also prudent to drive smoothly.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.