Thread: New jack plane frog out of square

New jack plane frog out of square

Hi All,

Newbie woodworker here with a question about a new plane I just bought.
    I just bought a Stanley #5 jack plane, and on the plane the frog adjustment screw is drilled out of center, and this is causing the frog to sit slightly off to an angle.
    Is this off angle negligible with adjustments that can be made? Or should I return the plane for a new one?

thanks in advance.

20201201_154940.jpg20201201_154950.jpg

2. Adjustments are possible but just return it.

It could probably be made to work if you got it for 20 dollars, at a garage sale, to be used for grunt work. But as a beginner, you may want to get something that needs less fiddling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sowlles View Post
    ... I just bought a Stanley #5 jack plane, and on the plane the frog adjustment screw is drilled out of center, and this is causing the frog to sit slightly off to an angle. ...
    You might be able to get it to work, but it's an aggravation I wouldn't accept in a new tool. I vote exchange it for one that's right, (and if they're all bad just return it!)

Blog Entries
    If it can be returned, it should be.

This makes me feel better about an old type 16 #5 in the shop. Definitely not my favorite #5. It is set up as a scrub plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    One thought, if the screw holding the adjustment plate can be loosened and allows for the frog to be rotated, then it may only be a matter fo adjustment.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One thought, if the screw holding the adjustment plate can be loosened and allows for the frog to be rotated, then it may only be a matter fo adjustment.

jtk
    I was actually able to do this, and it seemed to sit pretty straight afterward but I feared it may just work itself crooked again so I decided to return it and order another one which will hopefully be less hassle. Thanks for your responses though!

Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I was able to return it and ordered a new one. Knock on wood the next will be in ship shape!