Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much less vibration between a Festool and other cheaper sub $100 sanders?

How much less vibration between a Festool and other cheaper sub $100 sanders?

I really cant decide what to do. I don't mind paying for a Festool, but I don't want to pay 3-4 times the cost without a significant vibration reduction. The vibration on my 15 year old Bosch is killing my hands.

Can someone tell a estimated % vibration reduction between the Festool and other cheaper sanders?

Depends on which Festool sander imo. My 6" Rotex that I use for flattening is like holding on to an angry cat after a few minutes. My 5" promotional Festool that I got for $99 several years back (don't remember the model #) is a little better than my DeWalt, and quite a bit better than my Hitachi, and Bosch. Festool has different sanding orbit diameters from 3mm -5mm if I remember correctly, with the smaller orbits more suited for finishing sanding with higher grits of sandpaper. Diameter of pad also plays a part in vibration. So there are variables. Go to their website for descriptions of each sander. I do like my 5" Festool in that it seems to run cooler than the other brands and the DC is superb.

I'd probably give Makita a try before I would cough up for a Festool. I have a pair of them from 20 years ago that are friendlier than my 10 year old Bosch. I gave the PC I inherited away. I'll probably replace or augment the Makitas with a couple more Makitas one of these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    I'd probably give Makita a try before I would cough up for a Festool. I have a pair of them from 20 years ago that are friendlier than my 10 year old Bosch. I gave the PC I inherited away. I'll probably replace or augment the Makitas with a couple more Makitas one of these days.
    I have (well, almost) all the Festools, and they all have less vibration than my 20-year-old Makita ROS, which is otherwise a fine tool. The Rotexes a bit less, and the non-Rotexes dramatically less, to the point where I can sand with them all day long. Are they worth the money to me? How much does carpal tunnel surgery cost again? :^)

In my world 95% reduction with the ETS 125. I can sand all day with the Festool with no vibration issues (actually had to do this for 2 days a couple of months ago). Rotex is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    In my world 95% reduction with the ETS 125. I can sand all day with the Festool with no vibration issues (actually had to do this for 2 days a couple of months ago). Rotex is a different story.
    That is pretty significant. And this one is not priced too bad.

Bosch 3725DEVS is plenty good for me.

I bought a EQ125 a few months ago and it is significantly easier on my hands than the old DeWalt it replaced. I feel the improvement more than justified the cost of that model.

Both my Festool 3mm orbit and 5 mm Mirka Deros 150 mm sanders have _way_ less vibration than my old Bosch.

I found that a pair of anti-vibration gel pad gloves I had for biking made a huge difference as well when I had the older sander. I don't need to use them with the current ones

Try the Bosch ROS65VC. Essentially no vibration. I can use it for hours w/o an issue. Moreover, it's a great sander with terrific onboard dust collection and an adapter if you want to hook it up to a vacuum. It's in the $230 range - and worth it.

John

15 years ago my brother bought the biggest chainsaw made by Sthil. He bought it to use with am Alaska sawmill. It had a warming that it produces lots of vibration and maybe you would prefer a smalller saw.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    15 years ago my brother bought the biggest chainsaw made by Sthil. He bought it to use with am Alaska sawmill. It had a warming that it produces lots of vibration and maybe you would prefer a smalller saw.
    Bill D
    My father used to have one of those, I think it was powered by a Chevy small block or something. Towards the end of his life he had problems lifting it. :^)

Blog Entries
    The Bosch ROS65VC is not sub $100, but it's way cheaper than an equivalent Festool & it is extremely smooth. Vibration will not be an issue no matter how long you use it. Dust collection without a vacuum is quite good as long as you keep the filter empty & clean. Powerful too.

For me the difference was "Yuge"....my hands got numb to the point I could only sand for a few minutes at a time. When I bought my Festool sanders, could could sand for sometimes hours with little discomfort.

I will note that you would likely see a difference if you opted for one of the higher end Bosch sanders or Mirka, etc. The better tools tend to be better suited. I prefer Festool's dust extraction, however, at least with standard abrasives. Abranet and similar helps with dust extraction with tools that don't have the center hole.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The Bosch ROS65VC is not sub $100, but it's way cheaper than an equivalent Festool & it is extremely smooth. Vibration will not be an issue no matter how long you use it. Dust collection without a vacuum is quite good as long as you keep the filter empty & clean. Powerful too.
    do you find this is a little heavy to single hand hold? I do this a lot to knock down sharp edges, or hold parts in one hand and the sander in the other. It looks kinda tall.