Thread: Topcoat issue

Topcoat issue

Hello! I'm hoping the wealth of knowledge here can help.

LOML is painting our old kitchen cabinets. She degreased, and sanded them. Then she went into my shop (while I was at work) and took my Behlen Pour-O-Pack grain filler and went to work. Great, but I wish we had used a water-based product.

Plan was to use Killz water-based primer, but now I don't think we can. Have the paint already, and it's water based.

What to do?

There's really no issue using modern waterborne products over something oil based if the latter is fully cured. And Kilz sticks to about anything.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks.

Stopped in at the local Sherwin Williams store. They said to use oil based primer, then water based paint to coat.

Just make sure that oil based primer has plenty of time to fully cure. Bummer on that, however...the odor...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You will get different answers from different people at SW; just depends upon who you happen to talk to. One will say use OB primer and another will tell you to use WB. I stick with waterbased most of the time. SW's makes a great WB primer called Extreme Bond. It goes on great with a brush or roller and bonds like crazy. I recently used it under SW's Emerald Urethane Enamel Trim paint and was very pleased with the results. In fact, I was repainting kitchen cabinets. I sprayed the doors and drawer fronts and the homeowner rolled/brushed the two products on the faceframes and end panels.

The Emerald Urethane Enamel Trim paint is a fantastic product, too, very much like BM's Advance but it dries a lot faster.

John