Thread: Over my head but very interesting

Over my head but very interesting

Using AI for Biology. https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-55133972
    Always thankful for intelligent people and their contribution to everyone.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

This is a big deal for biologists, and it seems to be for real. The AI hype has had this result "just around the corner" for at least 30 years now. It has turned out to be a way harder problem than anyone imagined. I've just downloaded but haven't read the papers, it is going to be interesting to see how general a solution it is, whether there are classes of proteins that still defy computational solution (I'm betting yes). I'm interested to see what it can tell us about the more conformationally flexible, dynamic parts of proteins that are generally inaccessible by crystallographic methods. I'm guessing that will take even more compute power.

Some of the breakthroughs in computing technology required for better AI have taken a bit longer than we as a species would have liked. But there's no question that even today's limited abilities (which are quite amazing already) are doing good work. Virtual modeling is going to quicken a lot of things in biotech as it develops further while at the same time reducing risk, especially around "too early trials" of things.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

same BBC website for this story ironically, for Nobel prize for 'DNA scissors'...
    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54432589

Getting scary close to Skynet...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Getting scary close to Skynet...
    I wouldn't worry until you've got a car that can go get your groceries and use a coupon...

The real risk isn't Armageddon, it's finding something to do for all of us that got C grades in high school.