Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Router Table: Fair offer?

Used Router Table: Fair offer?

Hi,

I posted this a little while an it appears to have disappeared. (Let me know if there's something inappropriate about this post that caused it get deleted)

Came across a used router table in a garage sale with no prices. Trying to figure out a fair offer. What do people think? Includes everything including the bits. router lift is pinnacle brand.

What's everyone think?

Resized952020112995131947.jpgResized952020112995131943.jpgResized952020112995131935.jpgResized952020112995132022.jpg

Best,
    John

John: I would probably offer $200-$250 for the whole package. $200 for the table itself and depending on the quality and shape of the bits, $50 or $60. I think the Pinnacle lift is a knock-off of the Woodpecker PRL but I wouldn't swear to it. Good luck.

Sounds like he wants $500. Sounds like a solid pass then.

Thanks for the input.

Best,
    John

Make your offer. Either you will be surprised or he’ll say no.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Does it come with the router in pic?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

$400 if the router is included is a good deal if you want all that.
    I always offer a price that is fair if it’s something I really want.
    prices vary depending on the income level of the area.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 11-30-2020 at 7:11 PM.

Hi Richard and Bruce,

Everything's included, including the router. I'm located smack dab in the center of the SF Bay Area, so I think everything is a little pricy across the board.

Best,
    John
    Last edited by John Strong; 11-30-2020 at 7:45 PM.

I agree with Bruce $400.00 seem very fare with the router without looking at it in person....
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

My take: $500.00 seems high and I lived in the East Bay 1967-2001 so I have some idea of CA overly-inflated prices. Without a look see, you have no idea as to the bit quality and if they have been used or used and abused.

Same with the router in the cabinet. Is that another router in the wooden box and is the box and contents also included? I would have seller plug in the router(s) and listen how they sound. Again, you have no idea as to how they were worked or abused. Does motor get hot when not under load?

Look at the price of new Port-Cable (PC) and see what they are going for if you can find any. Been reported on various woodworking sites some stores are selling PC’s at clearance prices as Dewalt is closing down the PC line. So in my estimation, the router(s) are only worth about 50% of retail -- at best. Same with the router lift. Pinnacle was sold by Woodcraft and the Woodcraft web site does not show any Pinnacle products.

At the most, I’d offer $325.00.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 11-30-2020 at 9:03 PM.

Is the box on the ground to the right of the table also included? If so it looks like there could be a second router or something else in it that might have value. I think it all comes down to what's it worth to you? Do you need or want a router table? Do you have use for a (or another) router? The bits is a much harder call as they could all be brand new but if they aren't bits you would ever use then they have no value to you.

Alex Zeller: good points!

Not sure what happened to my previous reply. But that appears to be a very well equipped router station. I see obviously the bits, but also an edge guide. My guess is there are many other goodies included like a template guide set, jigs, an all those little things that add up.

I’d say $300-$350, but it’s just a guess because we don’t really know the whole scope.

I don't think $500 is an absurd ask in SanFran.

Would I pay that ? Heck no.

Some of my observations:

- That's a new PC895 router kit in the main compartment. It's got the newer non bellowed plunge base as well as the fixed base mounted.
    - The Pinnacle plate is just that - it's not a lift.
    - The router in the box is a PC 690 and there's another plunge base in the pics too.
    - I see a PC edge guide and template ring set too. $60-$80 accessories alone.
    - I count no less than 61 carbide router bits. Valued @ $2 ea. = $125. That's crazy conservative.
    - Appears to be a larger bit set in the top left drawer - like a tongue&groove -or- cope & stick set.
    - Bottom left drawer has another wooden box of bits or accessory worth a few more sheckels.
    - Top and carcass seem to be well made and fairly precise and has mobility.
    - Fence is meh, no dust collection on it or in the cabinet.
    - Nice switch gear.
    - There's undoubtedly a miter gauge in there somewhere. I see push blocks, and I'll bet a featherboard or two might be hiding as well.

Conservatively ,on the low end, I can see each router's value as $100;the table at $100; and all those accessories at $100 too. $400 shouldn't be regarded as an insulting offer and wouldn't be overpaying for the one offering.

Ray - you let me know who has/had PC routers for 50% off. I'll take all you can point me too. Haven't seen any advertised or in the flesh either. Most places haven't had any inventory at any price for roughly six months.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 11-30-2020 at 11:51 PM.

Dave S.: several months ago, then about 3-4 weeks ago I heard reports of these close out prices. I would have liked to find where as my 690 and 7518 are about 25 + years old. Always good to have a spare on hand.

'Gonna' miss P-C as starting out I cut my eye teeth on PC as my now closed local tool supplier was a very well stocked price competitive P-C and Delta dealer.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 12-01-2020 at 2:21 AM.

That offer is really for a new woodworker that does not have any of that. Looking at it that way he would be happy to pay 500 if he knew he could use most of it. Most guys want to pay 300 then pick out what they want then sell the rest for 100. It’s great if you can find a steal but personally I don’t low ball. I hope the seller waits on someone that appreciates the whole package.