Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw Blade Sharpener with Indexer

Bandsaw Blade Sharpener with Indexer

Recently Derek Cohen graciously shared his Dremel tool based carbide tooth- bandsaw blade sharpener. The key to his process is the use of diamond cutting wheels and, as he said, they are cheap. I bought 10 of them with two arbors for $10 at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I built my unit around a HF Dremel knockoff. I mounted it to a plywood fixture that rides along my bandsaw fence by drilling a 2-1/8" hole in a small bracket that screws to the fixture.

The angle of the mounting bracket was determined by the angle of the back face of the tooth, which was around 22 deg from horizontal on the Lennox Woodmaster CT 1.3 tpi blade I wanted to sharpen. You can use the tool without an indexing feature, as Derek does, and as I did to to see how it worked. If you sit or kneel so you can look at the blade from the side it's pretty easy to index it to the same position relative to the cutting wheel. I also found you don't need a stop; just two light kisses was all that was needed to sharpen the tooth uniformly. I'd guess I took off 0.002 - 0.003". The cut quality was very good, maybe not quite factory good, but more than acceptable. Moreover, I could feel how much easier it was to feed stock through the blade than before I sharpened it.

Since I was on a roll I thought I'd see about adding an indexing feature. I though about how to add something to the sharpening sled itself but realized it wouldn't be easy since it has to slide fore and aft as each tooth is sharpened. So I created a separate fixture to hold the indexer, which is nothing more than another piece of plywood with a runner to fit into the miter slot. A small strap hinge with the end cut off serves as the indexer and is screwed to a spacer on the plywood to bring it up to the correct height so the diamond wheel meets the tooth at the correct elevation.

You pull the blade upwards to index from one tooth to the next.

And then pull the blade downward until the indexer seats in the gullet of the tooth.

Then push the Dremel sled forward to sharpen the tooth.

Pull the Dremel sled back, raise the blade until the next tooth engages and repeat. With the indexer sharpening is definitely faster. The only thing to be careful about is for the two teeth at the weld where the spacing might not be consistent with the rest of the band.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 11-30-2020 at 5:10 PM. Reason: Fix photos.

I'd love to see your set up but the pics do not appear.

Thanks Jon. Should be OK now.

John

Blog Entries
    That's nice additional functionality to Derek's design. I like the indexer.

Thank you for the quality pictures and for sharing this...

Yes, thanks for the method and pictures. I will make one of these. I have a carbide blade and can't find anyone in Chicagoland that sharpens bandsaw blades anymore.

John H

John,
    When you sharpen the teeth are you sharpening all teeth perpendicular to the blade? In other words, is there any change in angle for right and left set teeth?
    Thank you (and Derek) for sharing your methods! I have a tri-master that came with my saw (used) that never cut right for me. I figured it was toast before I got it. But for the price of carbide blades now I think I'll try and build your jig and see if I can sharpen it.

Thank you, John ... and Derek ... just the inspiration that I needed!

Good idea. I must've missed Derek's original post, so thanks for this. The indexer is clever.
    Have you figured out how to do this for your log mill?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

John,
    will you be adding this to your website? I have it bookmarked for future reference.
    Paul

Thx John and Derek - it's on my to do list
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Nice. Gives me another reason to visit HF. Thanks, Derek and John for sharing your creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Saffold View Post
    John,
    will you be adding this to your website? I have it bookmarked for future reference.
    Paul
    I suppose I should. Thanks for pointing that out.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    John,
    When you sharpen the teeth are you sharpening all teeth perpendicular to the blade? In other words, is there any change in angle for right and left set teeth?
    Thank you (and Derek) for sharing your methods! I have a tri-master that came with my saw (used) that never cut right for me. I figured it was toast before I got it. But for the price of carbide blades now I think I'll try and build your jig and see if I can sharpen it.
    There is no set on the Woodmaster CT. The teeth are wider than the band so there's no need (or benefit) of adding any set. It also makes sharpening really simple.

I never thought I would be able to sharpen a carbide blade well enough for it to cut well, but after seeing how simple Derek made the process I decided to give it a try. You can send out many carbide blades to be resharpened but by the time you pay postage both ways it's about half the cost of a new one. If it breaks before you get another 50% life out of it it's money poorly spent. Being able to sharpen your own, and do it so that it continues to cut well, is a real win in my book.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Good idea. I must've missed Derek's original post, so thanks for this. The indexer is clever.
    Have you figured out how to do this for your log mill?

Hi Frank, I actually built a sharpener for my sawmill blades earlier this year. From the nudging here I add some photos and a short video of it in use to a new page on my website. Here's a link to that page:

https://sites.google.com/site/jteney...lade-sharpener

John