Thread: Shaker Oval Box Makers...HELP!

Shaker Oval Box Makers...HELP!

I've watched as many videos as I can find and already have my Starter Kit. One thing I'm really confused about is how to determine which side of board will be the inside of the box? As I understand it, you put the finger end in boiling water, after which, you'll see the board cup. The inside of the cup is the outside of the box. Now, at that point, you've already cut the fingers out, so haven't you had to already determine the inside/outside? Exactly what is the sequence of marking, cutting and inside/outside determination?

I don't think they had a preference. As long as you were busy making them ....it might make it less likely that you would
    leave and try to find another good bunch ....who thought sex was ok .

If I understand correctly, you rough cut the fingers and then put them in the hot water. Based on the curl you then cut the bevels on the fingers establishing the inside/outside orientation. But I'm new at this and can easily be wrong.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

That’s kinda what I was thinking, but I was still confused. Thanks for the reply.

I’ve only made shaker boxes once so not exactly an expert. The wood was so pliable after boiling that it didn’t really matter which side was in or out.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I use rift sawn cherry for my bands, eliminates any cupping issues. Quarter sawn for the lids and bottoms. Usually QS sycamore for the tops and soft maple for the bottoms. I know the sycamore is showy for a shaker box, but I love the patterns.

Bought my kit from John Wilson, so whatever he supplies, I bought.