Thread: Screws vs staples

Screws vs staples

I asked my children if they want my old flat screen tv. My son wants it but has no place for it now so asked me to store it for him (ugh!) until he's ready. So I'm making a box for it-- 43" x 26" x 5". The box frame will be 3/4 x 7" pine, with two 1/2 ply sides (28 x 48). I will screw the pine box together but is it safe to pneumatically staple on the plywood sides?

Since it is temporary, I would use screws to make it easier to take apart.

Why make it tough on your son? Two screws on a side will be plenty, and easy for him to recycle the plywood into another project. Maybe even 1 screw on a side since it's just going to be sitting around and not being shipped.

Staples. Fast and cheap. Whole lot is going to wind up in the landfill anyway. Dont waste your time.

Wait a few weeks and there will be plenty of TV boxes on the curb. The materials to build one may cost more than what the tv is worth.

Use screws as easier to remove.

As for the overall box dimensions, does that include any packing material to protect the TV while you are storing it? I also wonder about the storage conditions -- will a no HVAC storage damage/deteriorate the TV electronics? Same with how long it will be stored and the electronics.

TV is totally not worth this effort, but son wants it. Cardboard box doesn't work with my storage requirements. So chalk it up to one more over-engineered solution! I went with screws so I can reclaim the plywood later. thanks everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Use screws as easier to remove.

As for the overall box dimensions, does that include any packing material to protect the TV while you are storing it? I also wonder about the storage conditions -- will a no HVAC storage damage/deteriorate the TV electronics? Same with how long it will be stored and the electronics.
    Good points. I'm in Massachusetts so it will certainly be subjected to freezing temperatures. I'm not too concerned since it's a 12 year old tv and thus of little actual value. If it goes south it won't be the first thing I paid to store and wound up tossing in the trash.

Blog Entries
    By the time he's ready to take it off your hands, he'll probably be able to get something bigger & better for $50 & won't want your old one. But what do you do? Tell him to pound sand? I feel your pain, but I guess it's all part of being a good dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    By the time he's ready to take it off your hands, he'll probably be able to get something bigger & better for $50 & won't want your old one. But what do you do? Tell him to pound sand? I feel your pain, but I guess it's all part of being a good dad.
    LOL, I fully expect it to go that way!