Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a hardened torx bit

Need a hardened torx bit

I have one cutter head insert that won't budge, I just keep breaking off the tips of my #20 torx bits. These are Bosch, good bits, but this insert is stubborn.

Can you please recommend a good tough hardened brand for me?

I googled this and really can't find any good information, thanks!

Did you try spraying it with some PB Blaster or similar? A good spray, let it sit for 15 mins and it should help loosen it. Also Byrd I *believe* uses T25-Plus bits, not regular T25 bits. You might want to look into that as well, as a regular Torx will strip off with excess force. The Torx Plus bits are shaped slightly differently.

would it be practical to add localized heat by a fine torch? You may be able to heat it just enough to break it loose.

The other option is break the insert. A quick whack with a hammer and it just falls off. The carbide is relatively brittle. Then the tension is loosened on the bolt. The inserts are relatively cheap, probably the same price as you'd spend on the bit.

Blaster, heat and whack! The three wise men!
    Thanks guys, I'll try those approaches.

In the meantime if anyone knows of a hardened bit it would be good to have in any case.

The best I've used are the Milwaukee shockwave bits. I'd try an impact driver, especially the type you whack with a hammer, but a cordless impact is also worth a try.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    I have not experience with carbide cutter heads, but some with driver bits. I would not recommend Milwaukee shockwave bits. They generally do not last well, cam out easily & the tips wear quickly. All my cordless tools are Milwaukee & they are very good, but the driver bits are not.

Y have to watch with Torx bits with regard to size because often the next size down will fit & turn the screw, but will strip out easily if things get tight.

Rather than an impact bit, I would recommend a short such bit in a long-pattern wrench, or in a socket mounted on a long ratchet or breaker bar. That way you can feel what’s going on. Liquid Wrench etc might also help (but nothing with silicone in it.)

Blog Entries
    Bosch torx bits are hardened that is why they are breaking not twisting. Here is a trick that works. Place your bit in the screw head and give it a good solid tap with a hammer. Then try removing it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You might see if you can swap out your insert screws for torx-plus. I would agree with the others that a sharp impact in the removal direction ( dont know if your using just rotational force or impact driver to remove the screw ) may help. Seems all too often inserts get over torqued when they just need enough pressure to hold them down and keep the screw in place.

On my old craftsman jointer, it has Allen bolts. I sprayed it everyday for a week, then used a long socket wrench and bit adapter. Busted right off. I also punched them with a hammer first.

Did the same for the exhaust manifold bolts on my pickup which were original and 20 years old. Wd-40 for a week, hit with hammer, and then remove.

Thanks for all this advice.
    I used a torque wrench to install the screws, this one last one just likes it where it is.
    I'll be in the shop tomorrow and I'll try some of the ideas here.
    Today I'm dealing with a plumbing issue at home.... much scarier!

Agree with Frank, Milwaukee shockwaves are subpar. Best I've found are GRK if you want to use an impact driver. Snap-on has some good ones to, usually 1/4" square drive for T20 if you don't want to use impact driver.

Impact driver such as used in automotive work (not an impact wrench, an impact driver). Snap-On torx bits are the best I’ve ever used. +1 on making sure if it’s torx or torx plus. Would it be worthwhile to invest in a torque screwdriver? I don’t have any replaceable inserts, if I did I’m sure I would overtighten them like I do everything else.

I agree with Stewart because that what I do. Just break the insert and add a new one. I rotated my inserts on the planer just this past weekend. I had to break one because the tip broke off inside the screw. I use a Wheeler Fat wrench to torque the inserts.
    Good Luck
    Aj