Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley Cyber Monday sale

Lee Valley Cyber Monday sale

I didn't see a lot for a woodworker. Bought a gift card.
    Planes, chisels, not there - guess they got sold off last month.
    Largely a ho-hum for me.
    Last edited by Aaron Rosenthal; 11-30-2020 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Looks like it's still that way Aaron. Oh well. I'll just have to pay full price for what I want this year.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nothing I want from their site has been in stock for months to begin with...

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Lorden View Post
    Nothing I want from their site has been in stock for months to begin with...
    Placed an order on 7 September for 1/2" chisel and the delivery dates have been revised countless times where the latest projected delivery date is now 1 March 2021.

I wake up every year at midnight just for that sale and was very disappointed this morning. The lack of sleep was not worth it at all and wish they would have mentioned there was no tools in there for a woodworker as I would much rather have got the sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    Placed an order on 7 September for 1/2" chisel and the delivery dates have been revised countless times where the latest projected delivery date is now 1 March 2021.
    Yeah thats what im noticing on everything ive looked to order as well. my only guess is that they are having major issues with suppliers because of the pandemic.

Here’s my take. I think we all reach a certain time and age where we have just about everything we really want or need. I find very little to buy on these sale day and when stopping at the local tool emporium the same holds true there.

For example, Friday I was at the local Home Depot to pick up a bag of hickory chips for the Christmas bar-b-que turkey. Store was busy, but most of what I saw sold were building supplies. A few people were in the tool section and tools-on-sale aisle. There was a big Ryobi tool push and a great deal of Milwaukee, Makita router and drill bits, saws-all type blades, flash lights, plus miscellaneous hammer/screwdriver/pliers home repair sets, etc., on sale or supposedly on sale.

Prior years, Dewalt SCMS and 735 planers as well as Milwaukee and Makita were prominently displayed. Maybe as a result of covid virus and supply shortages, the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales are now on line and/or started early in November?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    I wake up every year at midnight just for that sale and was very disappointed this morning. The lack of sleep was not worth it at all and wish they would have mentioned there was no tools in there for a woodworker as I would much rather have got the sleep.

They sort-of did when they had their 'Tools 2nds' sale earlier on in November. Rob mentioned that this was done in order to make sure Santa delivered your purchases in time for Christmas.

This last Cyber Monday sale was really to get rid of old stock but the gift cards are always a win especially if you intend to make a purchase soon.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I win was happy to pick up a gift card. There are things on my wish list and I’m glad to get them at a better price. I didn’t really expect many of the tools I wanted to be on sale as they had their seconds on sale a few weeks ago.

Blog Entries
    I imagine this is just a symptom of the current struggle we're having. I grabbed a gift card.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Here’s my take. I think we all reach a certain time and age where we have just about everything we really want or need.
    Need - maybe, want?? Never! At 72, my needs are less, but I haven’t noticed much decline in wants.

Three weeks or so ago I “wanted” three Veritas PM-V11 spokeshave blades. The original Stanley blades work fine, but I have a couple of the Veritas and my personal experience is that they are superior in solidity and holding an edge much better. I know others don’t agree and that is OK. The website said out of stock until March, but there was stock at several of the brick and mortar stores. I called the one in East Toronto and they had three in stock. The stores are not authorized for exports thru customs, but the gentleman said that corporate could transfer inventory from their store to fill my order. He gave me a number to call. Corporate said they would try to do that and yesterday I received the three blades all marked with bar codes and prices from three different stores!! LV went above and beyond.

A couple weeks after ordering the blades I decided to order a pullshave. Not available and will not be manufactured anymore. Again, some stores showed availability. Called LV to seek a transfer. The lady said no store had over one and they were probably displays. I said that would work, what about a transfer. She said with the new Covid restrictions they could not accept inventory from the stores. Hmmm... I ended up finding one in Sweden and it should be here in a few days.

And, I am sure there will many more wants in the time I have remaining!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    Pandemics suck for sure.

One glimmer of shining light is that LV has held the price of the chisel at the time of the order. I do see prices have been adjusted for subsequent purchases

Blog Entries
    Need - maybe, want?? Never! At 72, my needs are less, but I haven’t noticed much decline in wants.
    Same here, many struggles against temptation (maybe a copy of the 23rd Psalm should be posted above my computer) when perusing the Cyber Monday sale page. Almost pulled the trigger on a lot of things.

There was a nice little garden shovel…

Recently purchased 10 discounted drawer pulls. They came in two shipments, likely due to inventory dwindling. Now I need to come up with a project to use drawer pulls.

One of my back burner projects is to build a large storage with dozens of drawers for holding fasteners. It almost got me to pull the trigger on ceramic knobs in packs of 10 for $2 a pack.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One of my back burner projects is to build a large storage with dozens of drawers for holding fasteners. It almost got me to pull the trigger on ceramic knobs in packs of 10 for $2 a pack.
    You should have done this!
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"