Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
Hi Ron, both walls have an anchor on both ends.

So your suggestion is to use the ceiling itself to anchor the top of the wall. Interesting. I would not have thought that would be strong enough but your point of being anchored on 2 ends - maybe I'm be too worried about that. I didn't mention that there will be a door in each of these walls, not that that will add any load. And Jim did raise a good point about the load on the walls. I had not considered that. I'm thinking that load will very minimal, but that doesn't mean the next owner might not hang something heavy. Hmm, things to consider.

Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply on this...

If both ends of both walls are able to be anchored.. and you can anchor to the floor... and since the walls are not structural (other than holding some future TBD shelves etc.)...

It seems to me that simply toggle bolting (or similar) to the ceiling would be perfectly fine (and that's what I would do).

Additionally, if you're really worried about it, you could cut enough of an opening in (say) the middle of each of the wall lengths to put blocking in between the joists... while a patch would be needed in this case, it would be very minor and localized (and eliminates the need to patch entire ceiling), while giving you one point of real rigidity.

Edit.. and by the time you glue and screw sheetrock (or similar) to both sides... that's a nice system of strength.

I think this would be a very strong wall (but of course, it's impossible to entirely future proof things against some unknown future owner that may want to cantilever a bowling ball and anvil collection ;-)