Thread: 15-20 gal compressor

15-20 gal compressor

I'm in the market for a 15-20 gal compressor for $300-$400. Looking to step up from my 6gal pancake compressor. Main reason is to expand my spraying time with lvlp guns. The pancake runs a mini gun fine for my needs, the full size drains it fairly quickly. I'm probably fine for now but the pancake is near new and I would like to sell it that way and put the money towards a compressor that would allow me more room to grow. Vertical was my first choice as I would like to take up vertical space instead of horizontal as my shop is basically non existent. Tools stay in the guest house and I break them out onto the patio. Compressor doesn't need to move but vertical fits in much nicer. I'd be willing to take some heat from the girlfriend and figure out a home for it if the belt/oiled horizontal compressor is that much better of a buy. The specific PC I found at Tractor supply does not fit into the floor plan exactly, but its the only one I have found in my price range that is belt drive/oiled which seems to be preferred. Using the patio as a workshop is not the end goal so there will eventually be more space. Also Tractor supply states 72 Dba which sounds nice but I am kind of doubtful. Not sure if this is an older model or something, but theres not a lot of info online about it. These are the two I have been looking at specifically. Any ideas which way I should lean? or another compressor in the price range that might fit my needs better? I had written off the 20gal husky/kobalt vertical compressors as it seemed they put out 1CFM less, but maybe the extra 5 gal over the Dewalt would off set this? Thanks guys.

https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools...ssor-15-gallon

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...r?cm_vc=-10005

Label me as old school, but based on my experience and that of a few others I know, go with an oil lubricated iron pump compressor.

IR GarageMate. It pushes your budget a little, but is a "big compressor" in a "smaller package" and will also run on 120v 20 amp.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Cassius,

I recently replaced my Craftsman air compressor with a Kobalt QUIET TECH 26-Gallon compressor from Lowes. The noise level of the Craftsman was really annoying. The Kobalt is quiet enough that you can carry on a conversation. It's also on sale until Dec 2.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Cassius,

I recently replaced my Craftsman air compressor with a Kobalt QUIET TECH 26-Gallon compressor from Lowes. The noise level of the Craftsman was really annoying. The Kobalt is quiet enough that you can carry on a conversation. It's also on sale until Dec 2.
    Those things are _amazingly_ quiet for an oil-less, much quieter than my big oiled stationary compressor. I use it for my nailers. But the jury is still out on the life expectancy of them, as with any oil-less IMO.