Thread: 113.27520 Revived

Blog Entries

113.27520 Revived

Grandpa bought this saw new and used it for many years. Dad used it too and it eventually came to me. My first thoughts were to use it as a small crosscutting station. Circumstances got me caught between shops for longer than expected. Out of sheer boredom dad and I went to work on it. Dad got blow-out duty.
    Dad cleaning up-2.jpg
    A nice thing about getting hand-me-downs in my family is that they generally come with everything that was originally in the box . I can't believe that plastic part of the blade guard survived unscathed.
    113.27520-accessories.jpg
    The bearings were a little rough after nearly 70 years of use but, I got them swapped out without much trouble.
    Arbor parts actual-2.jpg . Dad cleaning up-2-2.jpg. Granpas-saw-done-1.jpg
    I built a small base for it and put it on a mobile platform. This will help since I really have no shop space right now and have to head for the side yard to do much. She cleaned up pretty good.
    Granpas-saw-done-5.jpg
    It is a stout little saw compared to what you usually find in a contractor today. A 2HP motor gives it lots of spunk.
    Granpas-saw-done-7.jpg . Granpas-saw-done-8.jpg
    Anyway, I hope this inspires someone to take after that 'fixer-upper' they've had around for a while .
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-29-2020 at 4:49 PM. Reason: sp
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Phone pictures with the phone held horizontally come in correct. This software can't automatically change one with the phone held vertically.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Phone pictures with the phone held horizontally come in correct. This software can't automatically change one with the phone held vertically.
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have a standardized way of taking and resizing them.
    If you just resize them on your phone or camera I don't think that it also re-formats them?

Any pictures I take vertically I will "Crop" then resize on my computer which usually corrects the issue.

Doug

Nice job Glenn! I'd gladly have that saw. And it's an heirloom to boot!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Nice little saw. Most of the more recent Craftsman saws were only 1.5hp.
    Regards,

Tom

Great job on that saw. Brings back childhood memories for me. My dad purchased a very similar model in 1958 and my brother is still using it today! They were very well built machines. He had always wanted the extension wings but couldn't afford them. I am amazed by what he built with that machine over the years.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 11-29-2020 at 11:53 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

On the photo thing..."there's a thread for that" in the Forum Technical Support discussion area.

---

That's an interesting and sturdy looking saw. 'Glad you were able to restore it so nicely.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    On the photo thing..."there's a thread for that" in the Forum Technical Support discussion area.

---

That's an interesting and sturdy looking saw. 'Glad you were able to restore it so nicely.
    Thanks Jim. I followed that thread. This recommendation is what I am doing "by opening your photos in a photo editing program and changing the orientation before uploading them" but, the re-orientation (is that a word?) is ignored. I believe I found a way in the past where I opened and saved them with something other than Widoze photo application. Let me give that a whirl.

OK, now I remember (darned old brain) I open the picture with Windoze 3D Editor and then just save it as an image (not a 3D object). This seems to reset or strip the orientation info or something. At any rate, I just need to remember to do that. Or, I could use my "real" camera . . . the phone is just always handy.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-29-2020 at 2:46 PM.

– Samuel Butler

It's the EXIF information that the phone stores relative to orientation. Resetting that info is the key.

And again....nice, stout little saw! "They" sure don't make small ones like that anymore...
    --

Blog Entries
    Thanks all. This Emerson (113.) saw is from 1952. King Seeley made a very similar appearing saw for Sears years later. It is funny when you find something like a Ford Pinto fan club but, apparently this saw has quite a following out there somewhere. I'm just glad to see Grandpa's saw back in service and not setting upside down on top of my finish supply cabinet where it spent the last few years. In case anyone is interested, here's a link with some info:
    http://www.old-woodworking-tools.net...113-27520.html

– Samuel Butler

What's the weight on that puppy? I'm curious...
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What's the weight on that puppy? I'm curious...

I'll take a WAG. Dad's DW735 is about 90lbs. The saw body without the motor on it seemed a bit more but, it could just be awkward. It was awkward enough that I never lifted it alone. I have a hydraulic lift table and did "walk" it on and off of that a few times during my efforts. I think 90 lbs is in the ball park.

The sheet metal body is heavier gauge than such things are made with today. The trunnions and carriage are fairly massive for their scale. Even the blade shroud is cast iron and one piece along with the balance of the carriage. The top looks like my 1970's Emerson but, where the 1970's saw top and casting structural ribs were about 1/4" thick this one is over 3/8" thick. It's not insanely overbuilt but, certainly a serious take on a 'benchtop' saw.

I mentioned that I replaced the arbor bearings. I should have mentioned that the height and tilt actions are as smooth as my Saw Stop without any restoration efforts. The manual called for a light film of SAE 20 or 30 weight for lubrication and grandpa and dad both were sticklers for following the manufacturer's recommendations. We cleaned the whole thing out with a blow gun and a natural bristle shop brush. The only thing I haven't been able to find yet are the stop-rods for the miter gauge. Who knows, they may turn up at dad's place yet ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-29-2020 at 5:04 PM.

– Samuel Butler

I have the 9 inch version of that saw that the old man bought new in 1956. It actually isn't a bad little saw. He had a 1 hp motor on it, which did everything I needed it to do until I started working with 4/4 white oak. 9" blades were always a bit difficult to come by, at least before the interwebs made everything readily available. I still use it on occasion as a job site saw.

Great looking saw, and very cool that it's on it's third generation in your family now.
    Hope you get lots of use from it.