Thread: Help fixing Jet 1640 EVS

Help fixing Jet 1640 EVS

I could use some advice. My Jet developed two simultaneous problems.

1) The digital rpm display stopped working and just reads 0.

2) The lathe will no longer go into reverse.

Any suggestions on what I can inspect or tinker with to try and resolve this on my own?

Thanks!

This is going to sound stupid, but have you tried un-plugging the lathe and plugging it back in. Sort of like a reboot. I had the same problem with my Laguna once when it was new and I had heard somewhere that someone was told by a tech. to try that. It worked. Even though it sounds stupid, it doesn't cost anything to try it and only takes a minute or two. Other than that, I'm at a loss.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Doc Green has some troubleshooting tips on his website. https://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/articles.html This is for the PM 3520 but almost everything is the same or similar in the 1642. Perhaps it applies to the 1640 too. (I have both the 1642 and 3520 but admit to having never even touched a 1640). You might contact the Jet tech support to see if they have suggestions.

If you spin the lathe by hand, does do the numbers on the VFD change? If so, it might be a misalignment of the sensor inside the headstock. Beside cycling the power, some other things I'd do is blow any dust out of the VFD. Check each wires and connections of the low-voltage control wiring inside to make sure there is good contact AND the voltage is right. Test the continuity and voltage at the direction switch too. If not proficient with electrical things, perhaps you know someone that can take a look.

But try the "reboot" first!!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kurtz View Post
    I could use some advice. My Jet developed two simultaneous problems.

1) The digital rpm display stopped working and just reads 0.

2) The lathe will no longer go into reverse.

Any suggestions on what I can inspect or tinker with to try and resolve this on my own?

Thanks!
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 11-29-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    This is going to sound stupid, but have you tried un-plugging the lathe and plugging it back in. Sort of like a reboot. I had the same problem with my Laguna once when it was new and I had heard somewhere that someone was told by a tech. to try that. It worked. Even though it sounds stupid, it doesn't cost anything to try it and only takes a minute or two. Other than that, I'm at a loss.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I unplugged it overnight. It did not help.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Doc Green has some troubleshooting tips on his website. https://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/articles.html This is for the PM 3520 but almost everything is the same or similar in the 1642. Perhaps it applies to the 1640 too. (I have both the 1642 and 3520 but admit to having never even touched a 1640). You might contact the Jet tech support to see if they have suggestions.

If you spin the lathe by hand, does do the numbers on the VFD change? If so, it might be a misalignment of the sensor inside the headstock. Beside cycling the power, some other things I'd do is blow any dust out of the VFD. Check each wires and connections of the low-voltage control wiring inside to make sure there is good contact AND the voltage is right. Test the continuity and voltage at the direction switch too. If not proficient with electrical things, perhaps you know someone that can take a look.

But try the "reboot" first!!

JKJ
    Thanks. I’ll give it a shot.