Thread: Painting trex for a hand rail

Blog Entries

Painting trex for a hand rail

I have a stick of trex handrail I would like to use on a porch, but it needs to be white. Has anybody painted it and had success with the paint sticking. Charles

Charles, no replies probably means no experience. I will say my new composite (non-Trex) deck got a lot of latex splatters and overspray from my not too careful house painters. Most of it came off easily after it dried so I'd guess you'd have to choose your paint more carefully. I'd call Trex and ask them.

Trex is plastic. The urban legend when it first came out was that it was made from recycled plastic grocery bags. Ordinary house paint won't stick to it, but there are primers which will. I've used rattle-can paints specifically intended for painting plastic, and that bonded well. Depending on how long your handrail is, you might could just paint it with the rattle-can stuff. Or maybe you use the rattle-can stuff as a base coat to adhere to the plastic, and put house paint on as a top coat.

Trex has a Painting Technical Bulletin in which they mention specific Sherwin Williams and Behr products that should work.
    Sherwin Williams’ Deckscapes Exterior Acrylic Deck Stain A15-150
    Sherwin Williams’ Woodscapes Exterior Acrylic Deck Stain A15 Series
    Behr Premium Plus Exterior Solid Wood Deck Stain
    The bulletin also provides other instructions.