Thread: Hand held metal detector

Hand held metal detector

Looking for suggestions for a hand held metal detector. Less expensive version. Thanks brian
    Brian

I have one of the Garrett security wands and it works great for detecting metal in lumber. Not exactly cheap at $140, but a lot less expensive then replacing carbide inserts on my planer.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

The one I've had for "eons" is the LIttle Wizard. Not terribly expensive if they are still available.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Lumber Wizzard. We use it not only for wood, but to locate metal corner stakes over at fairgrounds.

I have the very economical HF wand metal detector. It works well for metal up to about 1" deep, but not more.

John

Thanks to all. Been woodworking for many years and never had a problem. yesterday ruined a set of jointer blades, not sure if there was something in the wood or poor grinding by my source, a piece of the blade could have come off and dislodged in the wood and ruined all four blades or more likely something int he wood. I found what I believe is a piece of the blade in the wood.
    Brian