Thread: Hacksaw Blades: Does Any Company Make Super Thin Ones?

Hacksaw Blades: Does Any Company Make Super Thin Ones?

Howdy, Everyone. I wasn't sure where to put this, so if a mod needs to move it, I understand.

I have a possible need for a thinner-than-normal hacksaw blade. I know there are other kinds of saws out there with thinner blades, but a hacksaw works really well for what I'm trying to do. I have some Zona razor saws that work, but not as well as the hacksaw.

Every hacksaw blade I've run into seems to be around .030" (.75 mm) thick.

Strange question, I know.

Thanks in advance.

sm

Googled > thin hacksaw blades < and several came up after a little digging. Here's one that's 0.025" thick: LINK. Don't know if these meet your need, but there are a few others.

I didn't check one of the big supply houses like McMaster Carr, but perhaps they'd have something you could use.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 11-29-2020 at 3:11 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Would a jewelers saw be too small? There are really thin blades available for those.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5025162...23d3b6041a843b

FYI - these require a slower "feed rate" to avoid breakage.

Blog Entries
    What exactly are you cutting? Knowing this will get you more help.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Googled > thin hacksaw blades < and several came up after a little digging. Here's one that's 0.025" thick: LINK. Don't know if these meet your need, but there are a few others.

I didn't check one of the big supply houses like McMaster Carr, but perhaps they'd have something you could use.
    Frederick, those look great. I tried a Google search too, but you hit paydirt better than me. Thanks very much.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by David L Morse View Post
    Would a jewelers saw be too small? There are really thin blades available for those.
    David, thanks so much. Without going into the whole application, a jewelry saw would wander too much. I need blade at least wide as a standard hacksaw blade, but thank you.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    What exactly are you cutting? Knowing this will get you more help.
    Frank, it's a long story, but it's PEEK plastic, about 1.50" thick. Very expensive stuff.

Thanks Much,
    sm

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/5025162...23d3b6041a843b

FYI - these require a slower "feed rate" to avoid breakage.
    Jim, I'm doing this by hand and, as I mentioned to David above, a small blade will wander too much.

Thanks,
    Scott

A Japanese pull saw intended for cutting hardwood cuts plastics too. Good ones don’t wander while cutting hardwood. The kerf width varies, but is thinner than any hacksaw blade.