Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with my next "apprentice:" Track Saw or SCMS

Good radial arm saw. Does both.

Blog Entries
    Dan,
    I would be wary of the Bosch Glide. My wife got me one a while back and the base had sagged in the middle. I laid a straightedge across the base and the middle was out some .030”. At one point, I had a senior Bosh tech in my house with two more saws and all three had the same problem. My saw went back and I still use my old Dewalt which is on the nose.

Since that time, I read about another problem with the glide. It seemed that the blade/motor was not lined up with the direction of travel. So, no matter what you did. The saw couldn’t make a square cut. The big problem was (according to the reviewer) that there was no way to adjust the alignment.

both of these things are easily discovered with simple tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    A couple years ago, I sold my table saw, Miter saw, and Jointer and bought a multi-function table for the track saw. I do not miss the jointer and the miter saw. I very much miss the table saw and will probably buy another.

Track saws and the MFT were invented for sheet goods.. Trying to supp[ort the track for small piece cuts requires so much fussing that it is generally just to cut with hand powerd saws.

I am going to suggest that you consider a quality jobsite table saw. For working with hardwoods, a table saw has much more versatility for your needs than either an SCMS or the MFT+Track saw.
    Yep, and another thing that is never considered in this debate, cutting depth. You have to try pretty hard to find a tablesaw with a blade smaller than 10", but that T55 only has a 6 1/4" (120mm). That means your depth of cut is dramatically less with the tracksaw than the tablesaw. 1 15/16" is max on the T55, a 10" tablesaw will easily do 3" plus. I make a living using circular saws, and running out of depth of cut is a common problem with a circular saw.

Bandsaw is fine, if it's a big one and it has a decent table, but you will find that you will still wish it was bigger at times. I do, and my big one is a 36" machine.

As for SCMS, I would not be without one personally, they are nearly as useful as a tablesaw. There area a few loud naysayers that claim you can't get accuracy out of one, but I have 30 years of the opposite experience, in heavy use environments.

Question for OP, you mentioned a Bosch SCMS saw, why are you drawn to that saw?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    I do not have a tracksaw (probably never will) and I do not have a SCMS (definitely never will). However, I have a sliding table saw, and this does all those things. Mine is a short stroke (Hammer K3), with a smaller footprint than the average contractor saw. I'd rather use this for ripping and crosscutting than a bandsaw. Still, not for everyone (and it is expensive when starting out).

A slider is very safe. All sorts of fixtures may be used for so many tasks. The one below is making repeated narrow rips ...

Link: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Powered...erBandsaw.html

The other power machine - and the one which I consider indispensable to all woodshops - is a pillar drill press. The drill press is not just for drilling holes, but for shaping wood, sanding, turning, and morticing.

Lastly, the power machine for hand tool work I would not wish to be without is a bench grinder. I have two 8" half-speed grinders, one for hollow grinding with CBN wheels (80- and 180 grit), and the other with a higher stitched denim wheel for power buffing, and the other side a softer, lightly stitched linen wheel for the Unicorn profile. Power buffing restores an amazing edge to a chisel.

If you want to save money and limit machines, get one half-speed and have an 180 grit CBN on one side and a white linen wheel on the other.

Derek
    Curious how the slider has a smaller footprint than a contractors saw when the slider has to have room to move past the blade in both directions?

Soon after I started woodworking in 1974, the Inca Universal and Inca Major table saws with a mortising attachment became the gold standard for furniture making in a small footprint shop. I didn't buy one then because it was too expensive, but even after all these years, I have a soft spot for them when the show up on the used market.

I'd toss my SCMS out the door of my shop without a thought, but wouldn't even remotely consider parting with my track saw. Even the best SCMS is hardly worth the space it takes up and the dusty mess it makes.

I have a DeWalt track saw and often use it on solid wood. I use it, for instance, to rip a glue ready edge on long boards for big cabinets. My jointer is small so I cannot easily get and edge ready on a board longer than about 5 feet. But the track saw does it super easy. The DeWalt blade is bigger than the smaller festool, 165mm versus 160mm, so the depth of cut increases to just over 2 inches. It will rip 2 inch hardwood, I've done it, but you may need a ripping blade. I've used the normal 48 tooth blade but sometimes it doesn't want to make the cut, the ripping blade is required. I like my DeWalt but blade changing is not it's strong suit, it is a somewhat complicated series of steps and parts of the mechanism filled with dust on mine and when I tapped it with a mallet a cast part broke. But it hardly affected the function at all and blade changes are actually easier now. I bet dust collection is also better on the Festool but I am happy with my DeWalt for the price. Even not considering price I would not want to drop back a couple amps on the motor or 5mm on the blade.

I also use my table saw a lot (PCS 1.75 with 36 inch fence) and I crosscut pieces up to about 8 inches on my Hitachi 12 inch non-slider CMS. I do not like the space required for the sliders nor do I like the flex in the arm which can affect accuracy. Bigger crosscuts I use the track saw. The track saw is as accurate as the CMS with my setup but it takes additional steps so it's simpler to use the CMS. I cross cut with long track dogs but had to modify some screws to work with the DeWalt track - just file a flat on two parallel edges of some washer head screws that fit the threads in the dogs. I use a fence instead of dogs for the board because my dog holes are not perfect, they were cut with a woodrave router base and pegboard. The fence indexes to the edge of the bench and has a screw for adjustment to get it square. It increases cross capacity too to use the fence. Another fence benefit is the stop. I prefer to cut to stops rather than marks on the board. I find it increases my accuracy. Track saws will do this fine but you have to make some jigs.

Two inch thickness capacity is a track saw limitation but I see no reason to use anything else on big boards within their capacity. MUCH easier to move the saw than some boards I've used.

I can and have done entire jobs (carcasses, frame and panel doors, drawers) with nothing but a tracksaw and a router. The tracksaw is basically just a faster version of handsawing and thus can make most straight cuts with a little planning. Mitersaws on the other hand are limited to one function on a small scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post

Question for OP, you mentioned a Bosch SCMS saw, why are you drawn to that saw?
    I kept running into good reviews and the space saving with the glide arm was a consideration. I'm not locked into a specific saw though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grano View Post
    I kept running into good reviews and the space saving with the glide arm was a consideration. I'm not locked into a specific saw though.
    Fair enough, before you pull the trigger on it though, may want to read some more reviews here. May be a good saw for you, but I personally think there are much better SCMS on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    I'd toss my SCMS out the door of my shop without a thought, but wouldn't even remotely consider parting with my track saw. Even the best SCMS is hardly worth the space it takes up and the dusty mess it makes.
    Funny how polarizing this debate is. I'm the opposite, the track saws I've used have been not worth the hassle, but if I was starting out all over, a SCMS would be the second tool I bought.

I just made a 20 spacers each in 1/16" increments from 3/16" to 11/16th" thick. Yes it was for carpentry, not furniture making, but it took about ten mins. Wonder how long it would take with a track saw?

My TS55 is used primarily these days to get a straight edge on rough oak lumber. My slider is too short and bandsaw is only an underpowered 12 inch. The TS55 struggles on 8/4 lumber but will cut, just have to go slow. If going Festool, go up to the next model to get greater depth and power. I can not speak on the Dewalt track saw but others can perhaps.

The TS55 was not purchased for its current use, but was a step up in accuracy from an underpowered Craftsman table saw. After selling the Craftsman and getting a slider, the TS55 was re-purposed. I like it and would get another one (or maybe next model), so do not interpret my comment as not liking the saw.