Thread: What router bit should I get?

What router bit should I get?

I have a order for two of these inkpen/notepad holders. What bowl/tray router bit should I get for it? I’m a Whiteside bit user, but any other as good will do! Thanks, TerryA144BF4F-AE4F-4294-A5ED-6C54417DF9D9.jpeg
    Two T's Woodshop

Figure out the size of the pen recess, that will tell you the radius and go from there.

Are you planning on doing the work with patterns or with a CNC? I'd use a ball/round nose for both the pen recess and the edge of the notepad pocket after clearing the bottom of the notepad pocket with an up-cut spiral. With either technique, I'll add. Probably a .375" ball/round nose for the pen recess and border cuts for the pocket, although for the latter, something smaller for "sharper" round corners may be preferable.

IE, you're not going to do the job well with just one piece of tooling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've used 1/2" radius for pencil grooves. It allows for the pocket clip and easier removal of the pen.

As mentioned you want a round nose for the pen recess. For the pad recess you'll need a bit that will hog out the material with a flat bottom but something with a very small radius to keep those corners as square as possible.