Thread: Inca LS-25 Positioner for SC2 Classic Sliding Saw

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Inca LS-25 Positioner for SC2 Classic Sliding Saw

The SCM Minimax SC2 Classic is a great saw, but it could be better if I could rip from the slide as well as crosscut. After watching the YouTube videos of Sam Blasco use a positioner on his SCM CU 410, I decided to buy an Incra LS-25 positioner and expand my SC2’s abilities. This thread describes the build and calibration of the positioner in case anyone else is tempted.

Here are the components and some of the tools I used to attach the positioner to my saw. The Incra positioners are available in 17, 25, and 32-inch versions, in both imperial and metric. I chose the 25-inch metric version.

1. SCM Auxiliary table. This fits several models of SCM slider saws, and it attaches to the side of the slider wagon in a T-track.

2. Incra LS-25 sub-base.

3. Incra LS-25 rail.

4. 60x30 aluminum extrusion used for the positioner fence.

5. Mounting hardware for the LS-25 sub base.

6. 100mm spacer block for the crosscut fence (explained later)

7. Stop block for item 4.

8. Homemade alignment plates to square the assembled positioner to the slider.

9. 50x3mm aluminum plate used as a spacer for item 4 during assembly.

10. Some of the tools. Not in the photo are the Starrett 386-24 straight edge, 13mm combination wrench, drill motor, 7.5mm drill, and countersink.

Starting with the underside of the auxiliary table, here are the only moving parts. I’ll be removing the spring-loaded handles, as they are a nuisance to me and get in the way of making adjustments.

Here is a detailed description of what the hardware does. There’s nothing in the saw manual describing this (at least that I could find), and there weren’t any instructions with the table. The table height and angle adjustments are done once and ensure the table is the same along any part of the slider wagon. When locked down, these adjustments ensure the table alignment is correct each time it is removed and reattached to the saw.

Here’s another photo from the side of the table that joins the slider.

And here is an exciting view of the underside of the table once it is attached to the slider wagon.

It is important to set the height of the table so it is flush with the surface of the slider bed and also coplanar with the bed. In this photo, the left side of the table is lower than the right. I watch the Starrett straight edge while I slowly turn the adjusting screws to bring the table coplanar. It is easier to start with the left side too high and work it down than to try to raise it. The adjustment process requires a small turn of the two set screws followed by tightening or loosening of the T-track screws.

After a few minutes of small adjustments, the table is level with the slider bed.

I positioned the LS-25 on the auxiliary table in about the location I wanted. The maximum ripping width I will use with this is about 500mm. Any more than that, and I will use the crosscut fence to hold the work square to the blade.

I put two strips of masking tape on the auxiliary table and marked the location of the mounting holes. I had a good reason for not making the middle holes centered between the other two holes, but by the time I drilled them, I had forgotten why I did that.

The 7.5mm holes are drilled, deburred, and ready to loosely attach the LS-25 sub base.

I did not use the 1/4-20 hardware that came with the LS-25. The bolt heads fit in the channel of the sub base, and they are a loose fit. The hardware I had left over from my MFT-style workbench was perfect.

The LS-25 positioner is in place, and I can easily achieve rips of 500mm.

Last edited by Mike Kreinhop; 11-27-2020 at 9:55 PM.