Thread: Kitchen Design

Kitchen Design

We are not getting any younger and lower cupboards were becoming a challenge. So our new kitchen has mostly drawers in the lowers. They don't hold quite as much but they are way nicer to use. Culling the contents was a little painful but stuff we haven't used in decades got a new home.

I think you're right. Kitchen and bathroom design could use some new thinking, to be more usable and lower maintenance.

Base drawer units have been the standard for a few years.

Another trend is limited upper cabs, which based on the amount of stuff we have I don’t quite understand.

Floor to ceiling pantry cabinet with several slide outs is great. Also a small vertical base cabinet for flat pans. Soft close on everything too.

Kitchens are hard. I have my cooking gear in four categories now. Stuff I use daily or weekly. Stuff I want to or should use daily or weekly. Things I use seasonally. Things I want to use seasonally. So many countertop appliances. Good luck and best wishes.

Looking for some insights

I've had to shut down my cabinet business due to health issues and need to find something to do. I thought about providing a service based on my experience and am wondering if there would be a demand for kitchen design, Materials lists, cut lists and Hardware lists tailored for the guy who wants to build his own cabinets. The design and planning stages can be fraught with issues that are usually transparent and don't reveal themselves until commitments in the form of cut materials are made. I'm looking for input from Creekers to help me decide if there is a market for this. I don't need much so if I could help one or two folks a month plan and organize their projects for a small fee I think I would be happy.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Regards,
    John