Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a belt sander

Looking for a belt sander

I do not have room for a drum sander. If I did, I would already own one. I was watching a youtube video yesterday, and the guy was using a Festool belt sander for leveling up an end grain cutting board. It had side braces that helped to keep the sander level to the work. I thought that sander would be a great compromise and started looking for one. It appears to be discontinued. Might there be a similar hand held sander available? Preferably one that has decent dust collection. I'd like to make a few fancy end-grain butcher blocks for Christmas presents this year, but only if I can find a good sander. The last one I made took entirely too long to finish my assortment of sanders.

I like the 4 inch wide Porter Cable. 36 grit belts to start the grinding ! Wouldn't try to get the board flat ....that often
    makes a bowl ...too shallow to eat cereal . Make it crowned ,easier and looks better than a perfectly flat board.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 11-27-2020 at 2:42 PM.

There was a time when there were many choices for belt sanders...but then ROS took over the world. I have a Bosch 3x21 belt sander. It works just fine in the very rare instance I take it out. But for your specific application, it's likely a very good tool for that initial leveling before you switch to a ROS to clean up and dress the end-grain for those boards.

An alternative is to make a router sled to clean and level before using a ROS to finish sand.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Makita 9924DB that is 25 yrs old and still made today. I think that speaks about reliability. It is only a 3 x 21 but it is very powerful and dust collection is excellent. The dust port is an odd rectangular shape so it may not be the best option. I made an adapter for my vac hoses and it works great. The sander has two threaded holes on one side to screw home made add-ons such as an outrigger. I put mine in a cradle and use it for many things.

I had a Jet Performax 2244 Plus drum sander and sold it. For me it was a pain and no matter what grit paper I used on end grain cutting boards, I always got burning. While this little belt sander is small, it has worked wonders for me although one does need to be careful on larger flat surface not to sand unintentional grooves.

IMG_2953.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 11-27-2020 at 4:18 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

The drum sander is the way to go, but as you mentioned, no room.
    Have you considered a belt/disc sander? That takes up a tiny bit less room than a drum sander, and the main benefit that I can see is the belt is probably longer than a cutting board, eliminating at least 1 dish/crown error pitfall. If you turn the board enough and keep it moving, it may work much better than a belt sander.

Thanks for the tips/suggestions. Much appreciated. I was searching the interweb for belt sanders, and wasn't all that impressed with what I found. The mentioned PC and Makita were the top contenders.....

I did think about using a router and making a leveling jig. To be real honest, I'm more than a bit concerned that I'd just make a mess of things, and after all the work getting the boards to the point of needing to level - I should stick to something idiot proof. Hence the sander....

Sure wish the Festool sander was available. You can see it here, start about 9 minutes in. I can't make out a model number, but you can see the side supports attached to the sander. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh4wL0bO15A

The guy must own Festool stock..

I was going to suggest a router sled and a ROS. That being said. I have the Makita 4x24 and a 3x18 and love them both. I wouldn't call a belt sander idiot proof. I read many threads where people hate belt sanders because they screw things up quickly. Maybe a hand plane. I hate them like some people hate belt sanders.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    Thanks for the tips/suggestions. Much appreciated. I was searching the interweb for belt sanders, and wasn't all that impressed with what I found. The mentioned PC and Makita were the top contenders.....

I did think about using a router and making a leveling jig. To be real honest, I'm more than a bit concerned that I'd just make a mess of things, and after all the work getting the boards to the point of needing to level - I should stick to something idiot proof. Hence the sander....

Sure wish the Festool sander was available. You can see it here, start about 9 minutes in. I can't make out a model number, but you can see the side supports attached to the sander. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh4wL0bO15A

The guy must own Festool stock..
    Oh man, a hand held belt sander is way far from being idiot proof. It takes a ton of skill to make a flat surface with a really course belt. Personally I'd suggest finding a cabinet shop with a wide belt sander. You'll have perfect results in half an hour.

The more answers ...the more choices. But most cutting boards are made flat ....because that how machines are made.
    And many boards curl up ,because that's what water does. People can make good stuff. Crowns are good ...ask a king!

How well do the Festool ROS's work? Would they remove end grain material at a decent rate?

If you want a handheld solution, take a look at the Festool rotex. The 6” one removes material much faster than their 6” ROS. And it is less likely to leave gouges than a belt sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    How well do the Festool ROS's work? Would they remove end grain material at a decent rate?
    If you use woods like hard maple, white oak, or exotics, no a ROS will not remove end grain at a decent rate. The purpose of an end grain cutting board is because end grain is tougher. If you get one of the Festool sanders that switch out of ROS and go to a disc sander, it will remove material faster. BUT, the contact patch is smaller than a belt sander, so even tougher to make something flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    If you want a handheld solution, take a look at the Festool rotex. The 6” one removes material much faster than their 6” ROS. And it is less likely to leave gouges than a belt sander.
    I’m not so sure about that. I would rather correlate it with your skill at winning rodeo bull-riding competitions. (It depends on where you want the divots? :^)

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Another vote for the Rotex if you don’t want to go with a router sled (which I would say is the best option after a drum sander).
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I own a Makita 9924 and a porter Cable 4x24. I use the Makita for everything and the Porter Cable when I need the extra mass. I have not seen a RO that can even come close to doing the stuff I use belt sanders for.