Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ~20" bandsaw-- Old PM vs Euro machine?

The Tanny Ph or oliver 217 30" saws take up less than 6" more than the newer 24" due to the C frame design. The larger table is something you will appreciate. They will fit under an 8' ceiling.DSCN3625.jpg Dave

I am sitting by an old 36" Oliver as I type this. I love that saw, I've never come across something it won't do well plus it is by far the most interesting looking machine in my shop. It is also big and hard to fit in small shops but well worth the effort. Dust collection on it is actually pretty good, it's just a 6" hose by the bottom guide but not much gets by it when the blast gate is open. That all being said, I would also like to have a 24" range welded frame saw some day to just try out.

For resawing I would consider a welded steel machine from Italy. I have had a Laguna LT18 since 2001 and not had any problems with it. Other firms market similar machines and if you are willing to wait, they sometimes come up for sale at various sites. Most old iron machines are real beasts, but it may be hard to find one that does not require some work to get it to perform well.
    I would get the Delta sorted out, remove the riser block and keep on trucking. In the meantime you can surf the various machine sites for something attractive. Having 2 machines is really a plus; wide blade on the big machine for resawing and a 1/4" blade on the 14" machine.

Yes, assuming that replacing the hinge fixes the problems I've been having I'm going to be very tempted to keep the small saw if and when I acquire a bigger one, leaving the small one set up with a skinny blade for small curved work and the big one set up with a bigger blade. Just need to find a place to put it! I have an enormous spindle sander that could be re-homed and replaced with a benchtop unit for all I use it that would open up a nice space.

Huge thanks to Richard Coers, Jim Matthews, and Mike Kees! I got the replacement hinge for my Delta saw today and replaced the old one. It had a HUGE bend in it, at least 3/16" over it's short length I wouldn't have believed it possible. With the new one installed the saw runs like new. I'm ecstatic!

IMG_2677.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Yikes. I'll bet you have a good deal less drift to manage, too.

That looks like a factory defect.

Good Man, keeping a workhorse out of the glue factory!

Roger ,glad that worked out for you.

I know of a MM24 for sale in Michigan. PM me and I will forward the email. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I know of a MM24 for sale in Michigan. PM me and I will forward the email. Dave
    Yea, that's a really nice machine and the price is right, too. If I were in the market, I'd be all over that. The combo is a really good deal, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...