Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Shaper

I don't see any mention of speed , or speeds. Shapers with only 8000 rpm are not good for use with carbide cutters.
    For fences ,many make their own, often have to for some jobs.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 11-28-2020 at 11:02 PM.

My post was in regard to the one Jared posted. NOT the one Op was asking about , of which I have not seen a pic.
    Sorry .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I don't see any mention of speed , or speeds. Shapers with only 8000 rpm are not good for use with carbide cutters.
    For fences ,many make their own, often have to for some jobs.
    Its likely single speed and 8000. Carbide and rpm are entirely dependent on cutter head diameter. I have Carbide heads that want more than 8k and ones that can't run that high.

Would more speeds be better, sure but ill take a single speed northfield over a 1.5hp grizzly every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Its likely single speed and 8000. Carbide and rpm are entirely dependent on cutter head diameter. I have Carbide heads that want more than 8k and ones that can't run that high.

Would more speeds be better, sure but ill take a single speed northfield over a 1.5hp grizzly every day.
    I agree , and sometimes the speed doesn't matter much. But things like cabinet door sets and lock mitre won't even
    fit without 10,000 rpm. I've seen that tried ,they just don't close up.

I sure wouldnt have any interest in a single speed shaper. All tooling requires different speeds and more serious cuts and large heads will go down to 2,900 RPM, Serrated 3,500. Even the 60 year old combos I have have two speeds, one you could run serrated and the high speed brazed.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 11-29-2020 at 1:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I agree , and sometimes the speed doesn't matter much. But things like cabinet door sets and lock mitre won't even
    fit without 10,000 rpm. I've seen that tried ,they just don't close up.
    Again it's really about the head. I run my lock miter head about 6800-7200, and door heads 6 to 8k depending.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I sure wouldnt have any interest in a single speed shaper. All tooling requires different speeds and more serious cuts and large heads will go down to 2,900 RPM, Serrated 3,500. Even the 60 year old combos I have have two speeds, one you could run serrated and the high speed brazed.
    Most of the us owwm shapers are single speed 7200 or 8000. The big exception is the direct drive 3600/7200 machines with the frequency doubler.

By serrated 3500 do you mean you running lock edge/corrugated at that speed?
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 11-30-2020 at 8:25 AM.

serrated split collar 3,500 RPM, Tennon heads larger 2,900 RPM. I have heads to 9,600 here. The corrugated stuff have to check memory was it was about 6,000