Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Shaper

Used Shaper

Hello. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2001 grizzly 1035 with extension wing, router collet, and caster stand. It has a broken spindle collar ($115). My question is, is it worth it 400+ in on the 20 yr old shaper?
    Last edited by Jesse Suders; 11-27-2020 at 1:48 PM.

If you have an immediate need and don’t mind fixing it up and possibly find more stuff that needs attention, then maybe. It’s basically a 20 year old shaper by the way, and a good rule of thumb is new bearings every 20 years. So that’s motor and cartridge bearings. Costs of used machines can add up quick, so getting them for cheap is necessary. I wouldn’t buy it as I prefer vintage American made like Powermatic and Delta.

I fat fingered it - corrected to 20. I have a need, immediate no, but I am making a lot of cabinets lately and a shaper would be nice. I run a small shop as a side business and COVID kicked it into overdrive. I guess I’ll look elsewhere where, as I want to spend 1,000 or less. Seems like what you listed would get me there fast.

if kick tire to long might not matter to ya as will be in someone elses shop.

Pass.. Just pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Pass.. Just pass.
    I’ll take that advice. That being said, if anyone in the central PA are has a 1.5 or 3 hp shaper for sale that is in decent shape... I’m interested...

spindle collar, Do you mean table insert ring? If you mean cast iron critical piece forget it.
    Does it have both 1/2 and 3/4 spindles. I paid $200 for mine with nothing broken and 1/2,3/4 and router collet. You will need dc to run it.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    spindle collar, Do you mean table insert ring? If you mean cast iron critical piece forget it.
    Does it have both 1/2 and 3/4 spindles. I paid $200 for mine with nothing broken and 1/2,3/4 and router collet. You will need dc to run it.
    Bil lD
    Yes, the piece that holds the spindle in place. The bolt bracket is broken. Piece 126 on the part chart for the 1035.
    Last edited by Jesse Suders; 11-27-2020 at 6:13 PM. Reason: Error

Jesse you would outgrow that machine in about 2 weeks. They are right around $1000 new.

I personally would pass, primarily because it is broken.
    $400.00 on Craigslist is about the beginning range of Delta 43-3xx, and Powermatic machines. Machines ready to go, that aren't broken.
    If you're willing to put $1K into one, you should be able to find some fairly nice, 3-5HP machines, available. Possibly even with a power feeder included.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

$750 new + shipping. No extension wing, no roller stand.

Blog Entries
    Here is a Northfield 5hp in Reading for $500
    https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...6382003635269/

That’s what I was wondering too. The capacity and my needs. I’ve done everything with a cheap router table up to this point. My stuff looks great from what I am told but I think a shaper would step it up a notch. So are you saying it’s too small, under powered, or something else?

Jesse I can only tell you my experience. I had a 3hp steel city shaper for about 10 years. It was used with router bits for probably the first 7 years. When I bought a euroblock head and started using it with a power feeder, I discovered some of what a shaper was capable of. The machine is limited by the size and mass of the spindle and the bearings that support it. Three h.p. machines have small spindle cartridges/bearings and can be overloaded and worked by cutterheads that are to big in diameter and to heavy. Aluminum heads help somewhat. Long story short I had to replace my bearings in about a year and half. I sold this machine and replaced it with two bigger far more capable machines. One is five horse the other 7.5 hp. Shapers need a solid adjustable fence and a substantial spindle supported by a long and heavy cartridge under the table with bigger bearings. The Grizzly you are talking about lacks these two features in my opinion. Look for a Minimax T40 or T3. Check out SCM or Sac. Just look" under the hood " to figure out what I am talking about.

Jared is pointing you in the right direction.