Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Compressor issue confusing me.

Is there also a mechanical pressure relief? Not sure the setting but it should open to protect the tank.

If your replacement switch was set for 150 instead of 125 Psig, it may not have been good for the motor. If it was smoking, then you may have some damage.

I assume this is belt driven, could the smoke have been coming from the belts slipping? Not sure that is likely since you are having issues with motor and having to hit reset switch.

The Square D Pumptrol is a good switch and likely equal or better than OE parts. They are relatively inexpensive too. If you still have original switch, take it to your electrical supply house and get a replacement Pumptrol. There are a lot of different models of the Pumptrol

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    An unloader built into a little 2hp pump seems expensive. Does it really save any thing on the 5hp over a pressure switch? It does reduce the number of starts on the motor which will reduce motor wear I suppose. Does the 5hp have an oil pump and filter?
    Bil lD
    Most compressors I have seen have an unloader to relive the pressure so the motor can start after the compressor shuts down. You you hear it hiss a little just after it the motor stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I am not that knowledgeable, but since there is current flowing, it makes sense to me. I just know the motor is overheating, and I think it’s because the regulator isn’t working correctly.

There may be another reason, but I haven’t gotten enough feedback so I’m going to put the OE regulator back on and see what happens.

On the inside of the regulator cap-Attachment 445791
    The confusion is because that’s not a regulator, it’s a pressure switch.

Most non industrial compressors are only rated for intermittent use, the motor will be marked “compressor duty”. If you have an air leak or consume too much air volume the compressor will run continuously and may overheat....Rod.

I think that the capacitor getting hot is a big clue. It also could be related to the electric motor working a bit too hard/getting hot. A new capacitor costs less the $20 in most cases. So, it is worth replacing and see if it helps things.