Thread: Fuji Spray MM4 for EMTECH

Fuji Spray MM4 for EMTECH

All,

I am spraying emtech HSF5000 with my FujiSpray MM4. Yesterday, I was able to have good success with thinning to 40 seconds on my #4 ford cup and using a 1.5 tip, but I was hoping that I would need to thin less and go to the 1.8mm tip. I was also thinking of heating up the paint per some of the other posts.

Anyone willing to share their experiences. I just purchased a 5 gal bucket of HSF5000 yesterday and want to get top results with this primer.

Tim

The HSFS5000 is pretty vicious, material for sure. As with any waterborne finish, you really want to try to minimize any thinning if you can, so if you can setup your gun with the 1.8mm N/N for this material, that would be good. I do spray it with a 1.5mm N/N with my pressure assist gun with the 3M PPS system....I swear I can almost spray tar with it. I try not to thin or only use a little extender/retarder if at all possible.

I will say that once you get things dialed in, you'll enjoy the product. I first used it for the new kitchen uppers I made a couple years ago, tinted to the same color as the EM6500 that was going on next was colored. I didn't have the gun then that I have now and it was a lot harder job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a MM3 and just sprayed the HSF5000 for the first time a couple weeks ago. I have the 3m PPS system and used the 1.8 mm tip. It sprayed really well. No thinning required.

Brian
    Brian E. Cosgrove

I have a Minimite 4 and have used the Emtech 5000. I like the 1.8 tip for this and as Jim suggests, minimal thinning if necessary. Yes, temperature makes a large difference when testing viscosity with a #4 Ford cup. Keeping the finish around 70-80 degrees is what I’d call ideal, but that can be tricky this time of year if you don’t have appropriate heat in the area where you’re spraying or keeping the finish.
    Still waters run deep.

This is super helpful. I'm going to try to heat it to 75 degrees and try a 1.8mm N/N. I just bought a 5 gallon from target so I hope to learn how to use this well. I'll share what I learn here. Thanks again. I really appreciate your insight.

I will add that you are a very brave individual buying a 5 gallon pail of a finish you haven't worked with yet! LOL But I'm sure you'll get the right setup with some practice which is part of the process. You have to "burn" a little finish up front to insure that your end result is the best if can be, regardless of the make/model/type of finish that might be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes -- I got pretty good results with the 32 oz I worked with, plus I read a good bit about it here. I'll let you know how it goes.