Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody using wireless noise canceling earbuds/headphones in the shop?

I tried them last year, but found the bass response major disappointing and returned them. Over-the-ear, with larger drivers was much more satisfying so I went with that via a 3M product. _I will add that since then, I obtained hearing aids that work with BlueTooth and for music reproduction, they also do not satisfy for bass response...again, it's the small drivers and the inability to get the bass from the room that is really good under normal circumstances)

IsoTunes gets a lot of chatter in the woodworking community through their marketing with YouTube folks, etc. Their products seem to be of good quality. They recently started offering an over-the-hear solution, too.

Honestly...I just turn up the tunes on the shop audio system and enjoy it when I'm not covering my ears.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I tried them last year, but found the bass response major disappointing and returned them. Over-the-ear, with larger drivers was much more satisfying so I went with that via a 3M product. _I will add that since then, I obtained hearing aids that work with BlueTooth and for music reproduction, they also do not satisfy for bass response...again, it's the small drivers and the inability to get the bass from the room that is really good under normal circumstances)

IsoTunes gets a lot of chatter in the woodworking community through their marketing with YouTube folks, etc. Their products seem to be of good quality. They recently started offering an over-the-hear solution, too.

Honestly...I just turn up the tunes on the shop audio system and enjoy it when I'm not covering my ears.
    Jim, which earbuds did you try and end up returning?
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but how can you actually hear the music well if you have NRR foam plugs in your ears under the headphones? Seems like it would be muffled and compromised just like the other sounds you’re trying to reduce, but maybe I’m missing something.
    Not sure if this reply was for me, but here is the combo that I use in the shop.

https://aftershokz.com/us/products/a...29564603138135

https://safety.honeywell.com/en-us/p...n/earplugs/max
    Last edited by J.R. Rutter; 11-27-2020 at 5:55 PM.
    JR

Jim, which earbuds did you try and end up returning?
    Honestly, it was an IsoTune product but primarily for the same reason that I would have had to return any ear-bud type product...my ear canals don't hold on to them. (I actually have had some challenges with my hearing aids around that, but it was solved by my provider with very small cones on the end of the transducers). But the bass response would likely have also been an issue. The return was easy and they were understanding and polite about it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Pardon my ignorance, but how can you actually hear the music well if you have NRR foam plugs in your ears under the headphones? Seems like it would be muffled and compromised just like the other sounds you’re trying to reduce, but maybe I’m missing something.
    The Dewalt 735 is a screamer. Just putting on headphones alone would not muffle the sound enough for my taste. So I put in ear plugs and turned up the volume on the headphones. It worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    My wife has these but I've never thought of trying them in the shop. They were like $30 on Amazon, right?
    IIRC, the ones I have ran quite a bit more. This is the latest version of what I have. Great sound but they fit so snug they keep the body heat in.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

What I used to use was LG wireless ear buds and then out over the ear hearing protection on and it worked ok. Then I bought a new pair of the AirPod pros and was amazed at how well they worked. So I use them in the shop, mowing the yard, etc. try them out and return them if they donÂ’t work.

the Bose QCii headphones work well if you dont mind the active noise cancelling. if you dont have anything playing through them you do hear some white noise.

I will say this - they can work TOO well. I have Worktunes, which I no longer wear in the shop (for reasons I won't mention lets just say God was with me), and ear buds, which are adequate and allow me to hear a machine running.

If you're perfect and always remember to turn a machine off, fine, but if you're human....I'll just leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Honestly, it was an IsoTune product but primarily for the same reason that I would have had to return any ear-bud type product...my ear canals don't hold on to them. (I actually have had some challenges with my hearing aids around that, but it was solved by my provider with very small cones on the end of the transducers). But the bass response would likely have also been an issue. The return was easy and they were understanding and polite about it.
    FWIW, I had the same issue with them, didn't fit, which surprised me, because I've never had that issue with earbud style headphones before or since. My solution was to try to retro fit them with some custom foam plugs, which sorta worked, having issues with the glue failing pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I will say this - they can work TOO well. I have Worktunes, which I no longer wear in the shop (for reasons I won't mention lets just say God was with me), and ear buds, which are adequate and allow me to hear a machine running.

If you're perfect and always remember to turn a machine off, fine, but if you're human....I'll just leave it at that.

This is what scares me about using noise cancelling headphones/earbuds. And even listening to music while working. It is a distraction from required concentration.