Thread: Stanley 5-1/4

Stanley 5-1/4

A cousin of mine stopped by today and dropped off a Stanley 5-1/4. He said if I didn't take it he was going to toss it in the trashcan. I wasn't about to let that happen. The blade had never been sharpened on it, it still had factory grind marks. There is some ugly green paint on the front knob, and the tote has a hole for a screw but there is not a tapped hole in the sole. Not sure if this is original?

Anyway, it will be put to good use I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The tote is for a larger plane like a #5.

The proper tote for a #5-1/4 is the same as a #3.

My first two #5-1/4s were bought on ebay. They looked like the went through an excessive hazing in a high school shop class. One of them was converted to a scrub plane.

My best #5-1/4 came from a member here. It is actually marked Stanley at the toe instead of Bailey. It is my go to plane for joining thin stock or truing small pieces.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

Are totes for the #3 and #4 interchangeable? I have a #4 of the same vintage that would make a good donor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    Jim,

Are totes for the #3 and #4 interchangeable? I have a #4 of the same vintage that would make a good donor
    It should work fine.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)