Thread: Face Plate Question

Face Plate Question

Hi, I have a Jet 1236 lathe with a 12 inch swing. I was going to turn a 11 inch platter using a 4 inch face plate. I mounted the face plate directly to the blank. When I screwed it on spindle it hit the motor. Am I going to have to add a spacer between the platter and the face plate for clearance or is the another solution? Thanks, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by James Baldwin View Post
    Hi, I have a Jet 1236 lathe with a 12 inch swing. I was going to turn a 11 inch platter using a 4 inch face plate. I mounted the face plate directly to the blank. When I screwed it on spindle it hit the motor. Am I going to have to add a spacer between the platter and the face plate for clearance or is the another solution? Thanks, Jim

Yes, you will need to add a spacer block to clear the motor. that
    is one of the drawbacks of that design. I don’t have that lathe but I did have a Hf 34706, which is essentially the same design.

Thanks. That’s what I figured I have to do. Tomorrow’s project. Jim

I can remember when that design first came out, I was chatting with the old PM people when it was still PM, and commented to him, 'How come they put the motor on backwards?' He wasn't familiar with it and looked it up and commented back 'well, they sure did'.

robo hippy