Thread: back of cabinets / furniture

back of cabinets / furniture

I have always put 2 coats of polyurethane on the bottoms/backs of cabinets and furniture, parts that are never seen, just to seal up the wood. My question, is 2 coats really required just to seal up the wood?

Blog Entries
    For no-show surfaces I want to protect or where I want to mitigate moisture effects I use a 1lb cut of shellac. It goes on easily, adds a bit of warmth color-wise and leaves a smooth surface when sanded to 400. I generally leave drawer boxes unfinished but, if the function calls for a sealer I also use shellac there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If you truly want to seal the wood you need to put on enough finish to create a contiguous film. I've never found that necessary on stuff I can't see. Most of the time I don't put anything on stuff that can't be seen. When I do, like Glenn, I use shellac, but only a single sprayed coat of Sealcoat. It provides some protection but it's definitely not going to seal it.

John

For something like a back, one coat (or no coats) is enough.

I never finish the backs of furniture that won’t be seen. It won’t make a bit of difference re: movement.

I built a cabinet a few years ago that was intended to go up against a wall, so I thought I'd save some work by using a plain back with minimal finish. A year later we moved and in the new place the cabinet worked perfectly backed up to a settee in the living room, which of course exposed my plain, unfinished back. I then had to retrofit a fake finished back for the cabinet, way more work than just doing it right in the first place would have been.

No more, everything gets a back now that will be OK if it ends up being exposed. I've learned my lesson about stuff that "will never be seen".

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I built a cabinet a few years ago that was intended to go up against a wall, so I thought I'd save some work by using a plain back with minimal finish. A year later we moved and in the new place the cabinet worked perfectly backed up to a settee in the living room, which of course exposed my plain, unfinished back. I then had to retrofit a fake finished back for the cabinet, way more work than just doing it right in the first place would have been.

No more, everything gets a back now that will be OK if it ends up being exposed. I've learned my lesson about stuff that "will never be seen".
    thanks - I agree the extra work could be frustrating if you change the location of the piece. So far all the furniture I built would happen to have the same problem you had after moving the piece. In this case, it's a bath vanity and will never move from it's location unless someone decides to remodel the bath in the future.

I think you're safe with a bathroom vanity! Cabinets like that I use prefinished maple ply for the boxes, if it comes finished both sides the back is finished, if it's one side finished material it goes unfinished. If I were finishing the boxes myself I'd apply finish on all sides, not for any great reason.

I wouldn't typically apply a finish to the back of a built-in cabinet...I kinda take the same track as Roger just mentioned. And if a future owner removes that vanity, "most likely" it's not going back, either.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...