Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RECI W8 180W laser tube issue

You could open the bad power supply and post some close up pictures of the inside. We may be able to point you to what to check.

I have never opened a Laser Power Supply but Power Supplies were my specialty when I worked at the Sony Picture Tube Plant in San Diego in the Mid 90's.

The clearer the pictures the better.

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Thanks Al, I Will take some pictures And post them later.,Chuck

I found the problem.

The high-voltage wire within the ceramic connector was completely burnt through.

While looking for a new high-voltage ceram connector I’m seeing a lots of people have problems with these connectors.

can someone recommend a good way of splicing these high-voltage wires without using the ceramic connector?

thanks,
    Chuck

I recently bought some of that 'Bondic' UV activated glue. Quick review: I love the stuff except for the fact it doesn't stick to what I'm trying to glue most of the time..? But, unless there's an insulating or dielectric or other problem with it, seems it would be a great way to bond two twisted wires together; goop it on, hit it with the UV light for 5 seconds and the glue is totally cured hard. Add more to make sure the splice is totally covered if needed

-Unless Dave Sheldrake advises against it (I've heard a few guys say they've used silicone sealant to cover their splices, so...)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Kahler View Post

can someone recommend a good way of splicing these high-voltage wires without using the ceramic connector?
    I can't tell you if it is "good way" but this is what I did, and it has not given me any problems.

I stripped about half inch of insulation from each side and soldered it together in a lap joint.
    Then I wrapped electrical tape around the bare wire until it was the same thickness as the insulation.
    Then I wrapped a LOT of electrical tape around the joint about covering about 6" (three inches each way) until it was about 10mm thick.
    Then I covered it with a length of silicone tubing.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I opened up the power supply and looked34D6B0C6-5E4C-4F9A-9AD2-92F2049B058C.jpegF9159C83-F639-4D3B-BA8C-972D99165F6E.jpeg everywhere for something burnt and could not find anything.

this is a nice power supply with digital readout Which include some diagnostic information. But nothing relative to this failure.

It would be nice to find A couple components that simply need replaced.

I do have the new power supply from “light objects” and the Laser is back in operation.

Chuck

here are some photos.E4BDB738-D392-4B14-897D-701173F985A5.jpeg

7. Hey Dave,

Any chance you're tired of winter weather in the UK and would fancy a fishing trip in Miami?
    I've a Golden Laser 130/150 CO2 cutting table giving me fits!