Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maple,walnut,cherry

Nice work. I like the way you 'exploit the defects' in the cherry grain. The bottom curves are classy. Thanks
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Thanks Andrew, that makes sense. I love the simple look, that isn’t so simple when take a second glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    Thanks Andrew, that makes sense. I love the simple look, that isn’t so simple when take a second glance.
    I think that’s why I like then the simple look that really hides lots deliberate tasks. There’s also a certain amount of Luck and skills. Sometimes the small pieces warp or twist sometimes they don’t just pure luck.
    Heres what can be done with live edge scraps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 11-27-2020 at 3:27 PM.
    Aj

A beautiful and useful project. I want to see the miter and gluing process too.

RC

Those are really cool - you just gave me a project for a gift.

Very cool little boxes Andrew. Do you resaw the wood to get a continuous grain wrap around the box? I was just reading about that and it's something I'm going to try out. Wondering if you did it, how did it work for you. Any pointers or tips?
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Very cool little boxes Andrew. Do you resaw the wood to get a continuous grain wrap around the box? I was just reading about that and it's something I'm going to try out. Wondering if you did it, how did it work for you. Any pointers or tips?
    I do it two ways resawing and opening them up for grain matching. It’s not always the best because if the wood bows or twist it make things difficult. Resawing I have to start with over sized and mill it down at least twice.
    The best way is to start with thin wide stock that need very little jointing and planing and lays flat throughout. Matching the lines in the grain where they start and stop works.
    The best tip I have is to set up you saw to start the cut at the tip to the bottom on the first cut . My numbers are 43 tablesaw tilt and 14.5 miter gauge angle. Practice and Luck is all you really need .
    Thanks for your interest Bill.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 12-01-2020 at 10:45 AM. Reason: clarification
    Aj

Very nice Andrew, I'm looking forward to making fun stuff as soon as I can clear my backlog and really be retired.

Nicely done. I'm having a hard time visualizing how the Domino holes are bored. Did you make the joints asymetrical?

Spectacular design and execution -- beautiful.