Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maple,walnut,cherry

Maple,walnut,cherry

I’ve been making these trinket holders. They measure 8.5 x 6.5 x 3 tall. The side are just over 5/16 thick. The walnut one with saw mill marks on top is thicker.
    They are very addicting to make kinda like turning a bowl quick reward.
    I used mostly figured wood for the extra challenge.
    Thanks for looking
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Sweet.

How do you join the corners?

With dominos the small bit they are only about 3/8 long.
    Aj

That would be a good size to hold all the pocket stuff. When I get home I could empty my pockets intoa bin about that size, when I am leaving I load everything in the bin back into my pockets. Looks much better than the pie pan I am using too. Good idea.

Really nice, Andrew. Great use for offcuts. It’s amazing how nice a simple design can be with the use of some beautiful wood. Still can’t wrap my head around making an outward angled miter joint. Kudos!

Very nice Andrew. Fantastic !!
    They look like great Christmas gifts.
    Thanks for posting and sparking an interest and creating a challenge for me. I am going to make some. I have some very old walnut (50 yrs) from me father in laws barn that would be perfect for this project .
    Compound Angles without Math (mathscinotes.com)

Those look great Andrew. A useful gift for sure. How did you attach the bottoms?

Blog Entries
    A nice project. Is the striped one also of walnut?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    A nice project. Is the striped one also of walnut?
    Lee it’s Macassar Ebony I forget to mention it. I was planning on posting some more pics later that will address the bottom grove and clamping them up. I’ve got to take some pics.
    Aj

The wood grain really catches my eye - well done!

Those are beautiful. I like the gently curve on the bottom "rails"?

Those are really well done! I've always loved this sloped, rectangular form.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice idea, lovely wood,and work. Reminds me I have a couple of Kirelian birch boxes that I should be using. Lucked into each in
    different shops in two different cities ...in the same week ! And have not seen one for sale since.
    I think wooden pill boxes would also be popular.

Blog Entries
    Still can’t wrap my head around making an outward angled miter joint. Kudos!
    +1 on wanting to know how you do the angled miter.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    Those look great Andrew. A useful gift for sure. How did you attach the bottoms?
    The groove for the bottom is the same angle of the sides 14.5 degrees just a couple passes on the tablesaw. I made these one a little fat I usually try for 3/16.
    I also added a pic of the glue on blocks to clamp the miters they are 5/8 wide and a little over 5/16 thick they have a craft paper between them that breaks away easily.But holds on for clamping
    My tablesaw is tilted @43 with the 14.5 angle in the miter it cuts perfect compound angle. I also reference everything off the bottom miters are cut from tip to bottom.
    If you don’t have a domino one can wrap the miters with packing tape. The same procedure for segment turning rings into vases it’s not as strong but will hold fine unless it’s dropped.
    Hope this isn’t too confusing
    Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj