Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black Friday, what/where to buy my first Nova Chuck for bowl turning?

I probably won't smell any remaining residue on the chuck, unless i put my nose next to it, which is not advisable. I will thouroughly clean the jaws though, don't want to transfer to the wood.

I have 2 penn states and a nova ,I like the ps ones . The nova tightens hard and the key needs wiggling to get engaged.

Chuck hard to tighten

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jain View Post
    The nova tightens hard and the key needs wiggling to get engaged.
    Somethings not right. If it it hard to tighten it might need disassembly for cleaning.

Or it could be another problem. Once I bought two used Nova chucks from a guy who must have been cousin to the Hulk, or used a cheater bar to tighten. The chuck had been abused such that the sliding surfaces on the body of the chuck were warped and it was extremely hard to tighten. (The guy had told me it was a little tight and just needed some oil.) It took me hours of reworking to get the slides to work smoothly. You can easily check for this by removing the spiral gear plate and see if the slides move easily.

BTW, you must have one of the original Supernova chucks with the worthless wobbly pinion gear on the chuck key. I hate those - hard to get engaged for sure. Half the time I have to peer into the back in order to guide the pin into the support hole. I poured epoxy into the pivot area of one to keep the pinion gear aligned straight with the shaft. (The later G3 chucks use the same type of external pinion gear but it's one piece, not made to pivot and wobble.) The newer Supernova 2 chucks do away with this completely by using internal pinion gears and use a sturdy T-handled hex key. HUGE improvement!

JKJ