Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday, what/where to buy my first Nova Chuck for bowl turning?

Black Friday, what/where to buy my first Nova Chuck for bowl turning?

I recently obtained a Laguna 1216 lathe (my first) and i recently read a thread where a bunch of you were saying you have multiple chucks so you don't have to change the jaws. This is something I may fall into over time. Then i realized that thread was from 2015 and some of the product model numbers discussed may not have been in their current lineup.

It looks like the G3 is less expensive than the G2....i figured the newer one would be more expensive.

Then there's the Supernova2, the Infinity....

Looks like for about $200 i could get a G3 bundle for turning bowls.....

Can somebody point me in the direction of a review or explanation of all these different chucks from Nova? Any great deals i should know about with black friday/cyber monday?

Thanks a bunch!

oops missed a few, direct thread, titan and a new Pro-Tek line......OMG.

okay so this page explains some.

https://teknatool.freshdesk.com/supp...-and-supernova

Looks like the supernova is designed for 14"+ swing lathes and the g3 is for 12-14"........

my question for this would be, any reason I can't use the SN2 on my Laguna 1216 in anticipation of upgrading to a bigger lathe one day?

So some nova chucks are direct threaded and would require an adapter to change sizes, others have a special "nova thread insert system" where you can thread in the Male Nova end into the chuck and the female end of the insert/adapter is threaded for your lathe......makes sense.

i have no idea if i ever will be reversing my lathe, but does anybody know if either of these support or don't support this function?

I have a few Novas. I like them. Not saying they better than any others, but I feel they have high bang for the buck.
    My $0.02.
    Do get the chuck with the insert. In the event that you get a bigger lathe, you can keep the chuck and swap out the insert.
    Do not get aftermarket (non Nova) adapters. Some of them create alignment problems.
    The G3 should be fine for your lathe.

Reversing, you need to get the adapter with the grub screw. That being said, I don't use the grub screw. I've been told, that tightening the chuck on the spindle is fine for almost all but the most aggressive use of a gouge. The big difference being in the event of a giant catch, which the lathe keeps running, and unscrews the chuck with the grub screw, you stand a high chance of marring your spindle and buggering up some threads which is not a cheap fix. If the chuck unscrews, it and the piece that you're turning will fall off and bounce around the floor a bit. The chuck will be fine, your piece not so, but wood is free or cheap. Turn another.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    I have a few Novas. I like them. Not saying they better than any others, but I feel they have high bang for the buck.
    My $0.02.
    Do get the chuck with the insert. In the event that you get a bigger lathe, you can keep the chuck and swap out the insert.
    Do not get aftermarket (non Nova) adapters. Some of them create alignment problems.
    The G3 should be fine for your lathe.

Reversing, you need to get the adapter with the grub screw. That being said, I don't use the grub screw. I've been told, that tightening the chuck on the spindle is fine for almost all but the most aggressive use of a gouge. The big difference being in the event of a giant catch, which the lathe keeps running, and unscrews the chuck with the grub screw, you stand a high chance of marring your spindle and buggering up some threads which is not a cheap fix. If the chuck unscrews, it and the piece that you're turning will fall off and bounce around the floor a bit. The chuck will be fine, your piece not so, but wood is free or cheap. Turn another.
    thank you for the suggestions. do both the g3 and supernova2 have grub screws? i thought i read the supernova 2 does not, but the G3 does?

There is a SuperNova2 insert style on sale right now at Rocklers for $120. That's a pretty good deal on that chuck, but you will need to buy the proper insert for your lathe. Better hurry at that price.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Well as i was waiting for replys i made this chart to help me decide and learn what all this was about. Thought i would share for others.

Models Features Notes Cost on 11.25.2020 Included in bundle
    SN2 infinity Chuck Quick Change jaws only compatible with inifinity jaws $287 #3 bowl accessory
    G3 chuck For midi lathes up to 14", shorter in length which will apparently save midi lathe bearings can work on larger lathes $189 chuck only
    Supernova2 for lathes bigger than 14" can work on smaller lathes $189 chuck only
    Titan For really big projects compatibile with all G3 and Supernova2 jaws, plus 2 large titan only jaws. $287 chuck only
    Pro-tek G3 a bit nicer than the "regular" version insert system only $189 2", 4" and pin jaws
    Pro-Tek Supernova2 a bit nicer than the "regular" version insert system only $220 2", 4", 5" jaws
    G3 30th anniversary bundle bundle 1" direct thread only $183 2", 4" and pin jaws
    Supernova2 30th anniversary bundle bundle 1.25" direct thread only $229 2", 4", 5" jaws
    Supernova2 bowl turner bundle bundle insert chuck $197 12" cole jaw kit, 2" jaws
    G3 bowl turner bundle bundle 1" direct thread only $175 10" cole jaw kit, 2" jaws
    12" Cole Jaw with bumpers need 14-16" swing lathe been told seasoned turners don't use these. $99 on amazon
    10" Cole Jaw with Bumpers
    Some Nova chucks come with direct threading where you would have to use an adapter to use on another threaded lathe, others come with a special Nova "insert" where you spin an adapter onto your lathe and the other end has a NOVA specific thread for the insert of the chuck.
    There are several bundles of either the G3 or supernova2. I would look for the bundle that has the most you would use, then just add the extra jaws that you need.

I think i'm going to wait and get the Supernova2 Pro-Tek kit when it becomes available. The price I listed is what Acme tools said it would be, but if its not even in stock maybe the price goes up a bunch, who knows.

I'll get that, the insert for my 1" Laguna 1216 lathe and then maybe add in the smaller 10" cole jaw until I figure out what jaws work best for me.

Steve, that's a great price on just the chuck. I'm thinking it's more cost effective to get some kind of bundle to start for me.

I have both the SN2 and the G3. Dedicated the G3 to cole jaws, because I dislike the geared wrench. The SN2 uses a hex style wrench that is (for me) so much easier to use. Might seem like a minor issue until you use them side by side and notice the comfort and ease difference between them. The SN2 anniversary bundle was the best value for me, but I need 1 1/4 x8.

Thanks Bernie, that's a great tidbit that I haven't read elsewhere.

The SN2 with an insert is my suggestion. As for kit or not, my preference would be not. The standard 2" jaws that come with the basic SN2 will serve most of what you'll need. Then get a smaller set of jaws, maybe pin jaws, or 25mm. Later, if you start turning really big bowls, you can get a 4" set, and then maybe a spigot set. The G3 will work fine, but doesn't leave a lot of room to grow up. Still quite capable for under 12" work. More chuck bodies is better than too many jaw sets that you may never use. I've never used my cole jaws, nor my step jaws. I've also read good things about hurricane chucks.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    The SN2 with an insert is my suggestion. As for kit or not, my preference would be not. The standard 2" jaws that come with the basic SN2 will serve most of what you'll need. Then get a smaller set of jaws, maybe pin jaws, or 25mm. Later, if you start turning really big bowls, you can get a 4" set, and then maybe a spigot set. The G3 will work fine, but doesn't leave a lot of room to grow up. Still quite capable for under 12" work. More chuck bodies is better than too many jaw sets that you may never use. I've never used my cole jaws, nor my step jaws. I've also read good things about hurricane chucks.

I agree with "more chuck bodies.....". Just sent you a PM Jon.
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Comments on Tecknatool (Nova) chucks

All my chucks are Teknatool/Nova. I'm happy with them. All the jaws are interchangeable.

At the moment I have 20 Nova chucks, mostly the Supernova 2 models. All are the insert versions. Some of the inserts have locking grub screws on the hex flat. All came with 50mm jaws. The hex chuck key for the SN2 is great although it usually comes with a ball end which I grind off as unnecessary and a potential cause of problems.

I have several of the older Supernova chucks with the geared chuck key. I hate them but use them anyway but I am slowly replacing them with SN2s.

I have two G3 chucks with inserts. They also have geared chuck keys but are different and much better than those with for the SN. I swap the inserts as needed to use the G3s on mini lathes as needed.

All of the SN, SN2, and G3 chucks came with 50mm jaws. (I now have a box of spare 50mm jaws!)

I always use the Nova wrench to remove the chucks.

I have one much larger Nova Titan with direct threading. It also came with jaws (larger) and the good chuck key. Unfortunately, the direct threaded chucks are not designed to use the Nova wrench. I plan to use my milling machine to change this.

PRICE: The last Nova Supernova 2 chuck I bought from Amazon was $137.50 in May of this year. It came with 50mm jaws, wormwood screw, allen wrenches, chuck key, no insert. (I had some on hand). If buying from Amazon check the price history on camelcamelcamel.com to see if the current price is higher than it has often been in the recent past. Then set a price watch. Camelcamelcamel will send you an email notification if the price gets down to what you are willing to pay. I buy a lot of things on Amazon this way.

BTW, one reason I have so many chucks is I hate to change jaws. Another reason is so I can leave partially finished projects in the chuck while working on something else. (One you remove a piece from a chuck it is almost impossible the remount it with perfect registration) Another reason is some projects and steps are simpler and quicker with two chucks. A fourth reason is to let students leave unfinished work in the chuck until the next time they can come. Another reason is to leave the work in a chuck on one lathe while mounting something else in a chuck on a second lathe, perhaps to make a jig or jam chuck. Lastly, reason is to loan a chuck to a friend/student. But I think 20 chucks is enough - my two chuck drawers are finally full.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    If buying from Amazon check the price history on camelcamelcamel.com to see if the current price is higher than it has often been in the recent past. Then set a price watch. Camelcamelcamel will send you an email notification if the price gets down to what you are willing to pay. I buy a lot of things on Amazon this way.

BTW, one reason I have so many chucks is I hate to change jaws. Another reason is so I can leave partially finished projects in the chuck while working on something else. (One you remove a piece from a chuck it is almost impossible the remount it with perfect registration) Another reason is some projects and steps are simpler and quicker with two chucks. A fourth reason is to let students leave unfinished work in the chuck until the next time they can come. Another reason is to leave the work in a chuck on one lathe while mounting something else in a chuck on a second lathe, perhaps to make a jig or jam chuck. Lastly, reason is to loan a chuck to a friend/student. But I think 20 chucks is enough - my two chuck drawers are finally full.

JKJ
    John i'm very appreciative of your post. SUPER informative. I buy TONS of stuff on Amazon, never heard of camelcamelcamel, but i have used something similar to watch for price changes on grizzly.com called visualping. it "pings" the website for a "visual" change and then notifies you if that happened. Sounds similar.

I like the ideas of multiple chucks. I think over time i will aquire a few.

2 questions:
    1: do you have any opinions on the Nova Pro-Tek version of the SN2?

2: Do you have any opinion of using the SN2 on a midi lathe like my Laguna 1216? I could imagine it cause some extra stress on the bearings, but i would figure once the lathe got the extra mass rotating, it wouldn't affect things much.....thoughts?