Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Heating Questions

Blog Entries
    One more safety concern. Since this heater is going in a wood shop, be sure to blow the sawdust off those heating tubes each year before heating season.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have a Hot Dog brand natural gas heater that is nearly identical to the one in your link. I think it is 40,000 btu and it does a fine job heating my well insulated 1100 sq ft shop. It is vented to the outside so there is no accumulation of moisture as a combustion product. I would highly recommend it.

Natural gas or propane is cheaper then pellets. I think a heat pump might not be much, if any, more expensive for heating then pellets. Do they still make corn stoves?
    Bil lD

I have a Reznor 45K BTU in my shop in MN, but it is well insulated and not drafty and I don't have any overhead doors. It is good to at least -35F (lowest temp we have had here since I put it in). It is a standard power vented model, not sealed combustion. There are specific code requirements as to air volume, but at 1100 sq ft with leaky doors, it is unlikely you will have any problems with makeup air. Obviously don't fill the shop up with solvent fumes from spraying finish and then fire it up. You might look into the Reznors and Hot Dawgs; they cost little more, but they seem to be the standard unit heaters that most everyone uses.

Natural gas if it is available is almost always the cheapest way to heat, unless you have access to free wood (and even then you pay with your time).

I keep my shop around 50-60F in the winter, and then bump the temp up before I am going to be working out there. I'd say keep your shop at least 40F in the winter, to keep condensation off the tools. The wood also seems to like not having wide temperature spikes.

I did have a friend who used an unvented gas radiant heater in their shop for a while. It kept the place warm, but it did put a ton of water in the air.

Art Mann: agree on the Hot Dawg propane heater. Been running one for almost 20 years and no regrets, no rust on the machines/tools, or any maintenance issues for the heater. Controlled by a low temp. thermostat set at 47 when I am not in the shop and when in the shop I turn it up to about 68 or so and it is warm in no time.

I’ve been using a natural gas Modine Hot Dawg heater in my small shop for about 5 years. Shop is brick/plaster (19th century construction) with a cinderblock and brick facade bump out built sometime probably mid 20th century. Standing seam roof over typical T&G roofing boards. Completely uninsulated. I’ve been extremely happy with it and consider it my best shop investment. It does not have a sealed combustion chamber and I have never had a problem with humidity. I only turn it on when needed though. It’s properly vented and code compliant. That and a big window unit made my shop a 4 season workspace. Money well spent.