Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Heating Questions

Shop Heating Questions

I'm in the market for a heater for my garage/woodshop. How important is a sealed combustion chamber for the heater if I have decent dust collection and use hand tools regularly? The cost of a sealed combustion chamber unit far exceeds my current budget and would like to get something installed before the snow flies here in Ohio. This is the one that I'm looking at currently: https://www.menards.com/main/heating...4441204088.htm

I'm heating about 1,100 sq. ft. with 9"+ sidewalls with 3 drafty overhead doors. It's a log home so insulated walls is not an issue. Any other suggestions? I will eventually supplement the gas fired heater with a wood burner whenever I can find one reasonably priced, but wanting something to take the chill off soon. TIA.
    Last edited by Steve Goetz; 11-25-2020 at 9:28 AM.

The problem with heaters that burn propane and natural gas is they increase the humidity in the area. This is a good thing for a lot of cases, but not when you've got a number of cast iron surfaces. If you've got the money a minisplit can be a better option. There are even DIY kits on the market to reduce the cost of installation.

Yeah, I've been kicking that idea around as well. I really like the idea of the mini-spit and the DIY kits look very appealing! I have my eye on the Mr. Cool DIY kit, but the cost is a bit much for me now. I do appreciate your thoughts on the humidity issues...I remember reading about that on this site once before and it slipped my mind!

Blog Entries
    That heater you linked to is vented, so no worries about humidity or CO emissions. It's the unvented propane/natural gas/kerosene heaters that should be avoided. If you have decent dust collection, an unsealed combustion chamber will be no problem. You just need to blow it out occasionally. That heater will work well, but you'll need to do something about the drafty doors.

I have a residential type natural gas furnace in my shop that isn't sealed. Every fall I service & clean it & there's just a light accumulation of dust inside the combustion chamber.

Steve, the MiniSplit will be worth the investment and with Mr Cool, you can do the install yourself. And you get summer benefits, too.

As to the gas heaters...unless they are vented to the outside with makeup air available, humidity will be a huge negative factor. Unvented is no longer permitted in some parts of the country, too, but if they are for sale locally, I would assume there's no prohibition.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So to confirm, as long as I buy a vented gas unit, humidity will NOT be a concern? Though I'd love to put in a mini-split unit, my budget will not allow for such an expense at this time. I figure if this gas unit will work, I can get a couple of years out of it, sell it, and then put in a mini-split unit.

~Steve

A vented gas heater can be pretty effective in keeping you reasonably toasty while insuring greater safety. You MUST pay attention to the venting requirements, however, and that includes the specific type of vent pipe and outdoor accommodations including positioning between exhaust and intake. IE, pay attention the instructions.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goetz View Post
    So to confirm, as long as I buy a vented gas unit, humidity will NOT be a concern? Though I'd love to put in a mini-split unit, my budget will not allow for such an expense at this time. I figure if this gas unit will work, I can get a couple of years out of it, sell it, and then put in a mini-split unit.

~Steve
    The unit in your link is a vented unit with fresh air intake so you have no issue with moisture. Its completely correct that an unvented unit dumps gallon of water for every cubic foot of gas. Stay away. The unit you posted pulls in combustion from the exterior and power vents combustion air to the exterior. Just keep in mind if you use their venting kit there is a pretty large additional expense for the vent kit so your not looking at the price of the unit only. Those MrHeater sealed combustion units are a good value. Electronic ignition, power vent, etc. If you can locate it very close to an exterior wall your costs will be the lowest possible with that option.

No different than any sealed combustion option youll have to blow out the heat exchanger periodically but other than losing AC in the summer they are a good option. Its a big jump to a MrCool.

A pellet stove may be your best option, easy to vent and generally don't add moisture too the air. The biggest negative may be having to give ups some floor space.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    A pellet stove may be your best option, easy to vent and generally don't add moisture too the air. The biggest negative may be having to give ups some floor space.
    May not be permitted in the OP's area but could be considered. The gas version is a bit easier to maintain a temp long term when one isn't in the shop every day because it doesn't need to be "fed".
    --

That unit, if vented properly, would work great and be very efficient. Humidity would not be an issue..

If room permits, consider a high efficiency standard propane furnace. The savings over the first year will probably pay for the difference in price as
    you can get 90-95% efficiency. Plus they can use 2" pvc for both the intake air and exhaust vents. By using outside air for the furnace, it reduces
    bringing in cold air for the rest of the room.
    Last edited by Ed Aumiller; 11-25-2020 at 7:16 PM. Reason: Added info on furnace

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    I just installed a 75K BTU unit that is very similar this past Monday. The power vent on these units carry out all of the combustion byproducts, including the moisture from burning propane or natural gas. I use mine to keep the shop around 50F at night and fire up woodstove during the day while I'm out there working.

Someone mentioned a pellet stove. I had my detached shop built in 2001 and looked for an insurance carrier. All wanted know if I had a wood or pellet stove as they would not write a policy if the building had wood/pellet stove heating. In 2019, I changed my insurance carrier and those I queried about coverage told me the same.

Jim, you are exactly right. I would love to put in a pellet stove, but the temperature maintenance would be too much to regulate now since I'm only going to be in there "part time"....for now. I will likely get a smaller wood burner stove to supplement heat when I find the right one!

~Steve

Good to know, thanks Ray!